BBE Sonic Maximiser

axehead

Now, I know the general concensus is that it's not up to much, but I was having a play around with it yesterday. I made a little loop, mixed it down and had a listen. I then put it through the BBE sonic maximiser and compared the two. I have to admit I liked some of the stuff it did. It did seem to add a sort of sheen to the whole mix, but at the same time it also lost detail.

So, my question is basically, what does it do?...and considering most people say that it's just a lazy way out of doing proper eq'ing etc. , what should I be doing to get similar effects?

I do like some aspects of what it does - it seemed to give the guitar track a nice sheen. I had the two guitar tracks (playing the same thing - just powerchords) panned 3 and 9 o'clock. Before putting into the BBE SM, it sounded like that had been done. After putting it through the BBE SM, it seemed to almost melt the two guitar tracks together, so they blended together in a more pleasing way. Difficult to explain. I could post the two clips.

Thanks guys!

Direct Quote From the BBE Website

"When you listen to live music, all the high and low frequencies reach your ears at the same time. When music is recorded and played back through speakers, the process induces “frequency dependent phase shifting.”

In layman’s terms it makes the music sound unfocused and muddy. That’s why recorded music never seems to have that same punch and sparkle as when you hear it live.

The BBE system changes all that. Without getting too technical, BBE technology compensates for the phase shifting between your high, low, and mid frequencies, while also augmenting your sound to compensate for the tendency to lose the extreme high and low frequency range during recording and playback. The result for you is the restored brilliance of your original live sound. "

My Opinion....
Personally I think it's a crock... I have never seen these in a "real" pro recording studio's.. and the general concensous is if you need one, your not mixing properly....

I guess, to be totally frank, I would say, that if you need extra sheen, your not tracking or mixing properly... or it's an equipment problem...

The BBE is a Bandaid..

Joe

I have to agree. I have one that I got free and everytime I've used it, it caused more damage. The only good use I've ever gotten out of it was when making cassettes to put a little more high end in them.

Hey Rat....

Thats funny you say that, cause I have heard a few other people also saying that they are ok for cleaning up old cassette mixes etc....

Maybe there IS a use for them after all eh?.. :)

I agree AND disagree. Yes, it is a gimick. There's no getting around that, and overdoing it will thin out your music and ruin everything. However, I DO mix & track properly and still find the BBE useful....in moderation, that is. I always have it handy when I'm mastering to that final, finished CD. But I use VERY LITTLE of it. I'm talking maybe 10%. This allows the original mix to be preserved, but adds just a slight touch of crispness to it (and with today's music, the crisper the better from a commercial standpoint). I also have used it on occassion to enhance cybals while tracking or via a plug-in.

Some love em, some hate em. I see both sides of the equation & try to take advantage of that. But if you DO decide to use one, go very sparingly. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Bonesy

Hey Bonesy

I see your logic... and It makes sense, but what I was getting is, that when you mix, try and get everything Eq'ed and "Crisp" there...Then you don't need the BBE...

Know what Im sayin' bro?

:) Joe

Yeah, I read ya. I look at it this way: Processors, FX, compression, gating, tube simulation, normalization, amp modeling....on and on. These are all tools used to alter sound to acheive a desired result. Some are absolute must-haves, and some are for show and personal taste. I'll re-run a great quote: "If it sounds good, it is good."

Sorry, but I don't have $5,000 mics for my overheads like the big boys do! If a sonic maximizer can add a touch of sizzle, I'm gonna use it....so on and so forth.

And it's all in HOW you use it as I stated before. I knew I'd open a can of worms with that post; I've had this discussion before. But the same people who disagree with me on this one seem to love my productions. Hmmm....

To each thier own!! Have a good one.

Drummerbones

Drummerbones said:
Sorry, but I don't have $5,000 mics for my overheads like the big boys do

I can relate to that one.. Which is why I have to use a good amount of Eq on mixdown...

I just have SM 57's and 4033's.. nothing fancy...

But, Im not disagreeing with you... Cause I do see your point, and it's a good point.. To a person who can mix great, a maximizer is useless, but for a home recording guy just doing it on his own for a hobby, and isn't a mix wizard, it's great for adding sizzle, that wouldn't be there unless he laboured over the mix forever...

That said, I think my comments were geared for the Pro industry... Cause Sonic Maximizers are rarely used in that scene...

Sometimes I forget this is a "Home" recording bbs :D

That's right! I'm not a pro, but I make some killer stuff out of my basement.....whatever gets the job done. I agree with YOU that I've never really heard of a maximizer in a pro studio....

I cheat....I admit it!

I'd be more than happy to if I knew how! I have an MP3.com account, but have never had any luck attempting to post a song. I'm not a computer genious by any means. Maybe you could shed some light on it for.... :)

Checkout Nowhere radio... You can post songs there instantly, rather than the 5-9 day wait that MP3.COM has to post songs...

www.nowhereradio.com

All you have to do is, convert your stuff to mp3 and then post it on this site...

Good Luck...

Thanks for all the responses guys. I agree with Drummerbones about using just a little in a mix. I do like some of what it does, but too much doesn't sound so good!

BTW, Voxvendor - I've been listening to your track "Something Wrong Now". It's really great - it's the sort of quality I'm aspiring too. It's shown me what I can achieve with home equipment, and the techniques to use them. Thanks for the inspiration!

No, Problem...

Watch for more.. Im in the process of recording an album, and Im posting samples as I make them...

Compliments like yours are what keeps me going..

Thanks Axehead..

Back