Bass on vocals wanted gone

midwesttribune

currently i own protools, studio both, recording equip ect. but i mainly use protools for the mixing of the vocals, and i noticed that when i play my music back on subs in the car, that when i say words that start with P and other little things that theres tons of bass blaring in my voice, how do i get rid of it? thanks guys

You need to get a pop filter to put in front of the mic and rerecord the vocals. The sound you are hearing is called a plosive, and it's what happens when a strong gust of air hits the mic. It usually happens on a "P" but a "B" or even a really strong "T" can have the same reaction.

The other issue is that it sounds like there may be too much in the way of proximity effect. Try backing off of the mic a bit.

Given that you don't want to re-track, try bussing the vocal to another track, eqing this to the offending frequency range, and using this as a sidechain to a compressor on the original vocal. Or a multi-band comp on just the lower end.

Always better to get it right in the tracking though.

The other issue is that it sounds like there may be too much in the way of proximity effect. Try backing off of the mic a bit.

Given that you don't want to re-track, try bussing the vocal to another track, eqing this to the offending frequency range, and using this as a sidechain to a compressor on the original vocal. Or a multi-band comp on just the lower end.

Always better to get it right in the tracking though.

That sounds like a nifty trick to hold on to. :cool:

you can use Voxegno's Gliss EQ for that trick. It's a dynamic eq , although there aren't allot of settings, just one "dynamics" (DYN 0-9 ) knob per band.

:)
:):)
:):):)

I already use a pop filter, an i dont get the loud bassy P's and T's when its on regular speakers i only get it on Subs. Im trying to accomidate my music to Subs. Im not talking about when the air hits the mic.

High
Pass
Filter

Or turn down the low shelf band on your EQ starting at around 80-100Hz or so and give it a pretty steep dive.

Back