Basic Mixer required - any ideas?

treebeard

Hi,

I'm looking to create a PC based home studio to record my rock band. I will be recording instruments one at a time.

I will be recording: Lead and rythem electric guitar, bass, drum kit, vocals and backing vocals.

I will be miking each source seperatly and using software such as Cakewalk to overlay and edit the tracks on my PC, before burning them CD.

Now, I know the Sound Blaster Audgiy 2 Platinum Ex isn't a professional recording card - but its what I will be using. At the momment I am limited to only two mics: one Shure SM57 and one SM58. I plan to use the SM58 for vocals, the SM57 for the instruments, and both for the drumkit.

My problem is what to have inbetween the mics and the soundcard. I was trying to decide whether to buy a mic preamp or a cheap mixer. It seems that a mixer would give me more mic inputs for if I aquire more mics. Basically, my only requirements for the preamp/mixer are:

More than 2 channels
Phantom power (for future condenser mics)
Good clean preamps for the mics
An optical output would be nice (to connect the preamp/mixer to the optical input on the Platinum Ex)
Under $200 if possible

Any recommendations, suggestions, ideas for the preamp/mixer?

Also, whats a condenser and do I need one?

Many thanks,

Treebeard

Thanks Gidge. I took a look at the DMP3 on your advice and its frequency response seems pretty good - compared with the Audio Buddy's anyway. Have you used this? Is it quiet?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Treebeard

Back