Baroque Music - Viola da Gamba top of instrument SHRILL

Marais

Recording with Logic Pro, X AKG stereo pair Microphones 414S - Babyface Pro soundcard.
Album number 13 for my label.

One track on the album of a solo viola da gamba, has a sound problem. It is recorded on a beautiful old instrument, perfect acoustic but a shrill top string.

Tried futzing with the EQ as such and even more =
Capture d’écran 2019-06-10 à 17.40.30.png

But it "flattens out" the sound.
Any ideas for the "ideal" plug that I can use to cut out the horrid shrill sound in the upper range without flattening out the beautiful resonance in the bass range?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Also dynamic EQ , de-esser, sidechain compressor. Lots of options really. Luck to ya

Also dynamic EQ , de-esser, sidechain compressor. Lots of options really. Luck to ya

Thanks guys VERY Useful info! I'm terrible in math so finally figured out that 3.2 kHz is 3200hz. But besides that the musician says it is only the open top string. So what do you think of this "mad scientist" solution? Each and every time there is that open top string I "zap" it with this =
Capture d’écran 2019-06-11 à 19.34.20.png

Then a second zap to upscale the bass side on that one note =
Capture d’écran 2019-06-11 à 19.34.07.png

What do you think? Instead of Channel EQing (is that a word even?) the whole track just do it punctually?

Too weird an idea?

I've done that before . . . if there is a problem note that pops up through out a piece, just go in and manually reduce its level

Back