balanced or unbalanced mix?

FALKEN

so I have been struggling with a mix so I figured since I am going to attempt the "final" mix this afternoon, I'd post here thsi morning, and maybe get some insight. I haven't struggled over a mix for a while but I'm probably only agonizing because I am going to actually "use" this one. Since I recorded to tape and mixed outboard for this one; I can't go back and "tweak" a sound or two; I've gotta actually "play" the whole mix again. and I find its better to go ahead and mix all 9 songs in one sitting. In each of the three mixes I've done so far one of the four main instruments has stuck out like a sore thumb. first the bass was too loud, then the vocals were too loud, then the drums were too loud.

Now to the point/question/whatever: in each song, should I *intentionally* try to make an instrument stand out above the others. or, maybe even for *part* of a song. I guess my question is, if I try to make the mix as "balanced" as possible; is this even possible? can a mix be "balanced" or does something HAVE TO take the lead? and if something has to take the lead, I imagine that I have to constantly be juggling which instrument is taking the lead.

Sorry if this sounds really basic, but It just dawned on me. so I guess, ultimately, do you ever do this? accept that a mix cannot be 'balanced' so you play with the imbalances in a creative way to constantly shift attention. I can't decide which approach to take.

I don't think anything has to take a lead part. It's more not having a part hide other parts. My mixes usually suck because I have trouble making them clear. I wind up hiding some sounds, because I'm not good enough to bring out all the nuances.
Also, it might really depend on what the focus of teh song is. Guitar driven? Vocals driven? If the vocals is the main focus on all songs, then it might not hurt to have them a bit louder. If drums hide Vox, will this make the song sound bad to the average listener? (if that's who it is geared for...).

I obviously have no real answer, just a simple thought. May help, may not.
Ed

FALKEN said:
Now to the point/question/whatever: in each song, should I *intentionally* try to make an instrument stand out above the others. or, maybe even for *part* of a song. I guess my question is, if I try to make the mix as "balanced" as possible; is this even possible? can a mix be "balanced" or does something HAVE TO take the lead? and if something has to take the lead, I imagine that I have to constantly be juggling which instrument is taking the lead.
I believe this is part of the process we all must use, to ask and find as we're putting it together, what is or are the focuses, for the song, even each section. Then we steer it there. Then another gotcha' that rears its head is if a part able to stand up to the degree of focus that might be called for. To whatever degree, this steps up as part of the hide and seek play too. Personally, I see this factor as significant here at the modest end of the scale. 'Damage control Vs having all the options that ought to be there. :D

Since I recorded to tape and mixed outboard for this one; I can't go back and "tweak" a sound or two; I've gotta actually "play" the whole mix again. and I find its better to go ahead and mix all 9 songs in one sitting. In each of the three mixes I've done so far one of the four main instruments has stuck out like a sore thumb. first the bass was too loud, then the vocals were too loud, then the drums were too loud.
This precisely why when I was mixing outboard I would prefer to do one, leave it set up and come back to it the next day with fresh ears. My problem is that it seems I'm able to 'see the big picture better not only with each revisit, but particularly when beginning to hear all of them as an album.
(Given the time to do this) this is one of the steps where the view would change! I inevitably see it in stages. Tracking/rough out -Yeah, everything's working. Mix one -Ok, it's where it needs to go -Oops, can go. Revisit stages and/or finally 'in context' -View and opinions tighten up big time! 'ITB (and time willing) cuts us some big slack here.
But remember doing it all is biting off a big chunk. If you played, recorded, 'produced', mixed, and maybe mastered... This traditionally would have been five guys, each with fresh perspectives.

Wayne

Back