background to monitor purchase

dobro

There are two perennial, slightly boring, probably necessary questions on this board: What mic should I get? What monitors should I get?

There's a very good article about nearfield monitors in June's 'Electronic Musician', which I learned a lot from. I don't think it's going to finish off the 'what monitors should I get?' questions, but it'll make them more informed. :)

ps This is the third time I've mentioned stuff from this particular edition of Electronic Musician this week. I do read other magazines, honest. :D

I supposed your mind is made up and you are going to get the radio shack speakers reccomended in that artical.

I hope not real ,studio monitors are going to be better in the sense that they will not mask anything to make music sound better so you have to work harder for good results.

Ive reccommended my monitors on several threads, and I belive Ive made the right choice based on how they sounded with the same cds durring side by side demos. and by how many real pro studios used them.(they were used by far more studios than any other "availible" monitor).

I did a google search on all availible models in my price range and did a count of studio sites with them.

And Im satisfied with my choice. Im not going to tell you which i got but I hope you go out and trust your ears, do real research, and dont just buy monitors that somebody on a thread tells you to get.:cool:

Yo Darran:

You've already told people to buy what monitors you like; therefore, your logic isn't logical. It may be metaphysical.

Green Hornet

I can dig that. I just wanted to get a point across that If one thing really was the best, there would only be copycat designs but were not talking about stratocasters here. the differences in the designs of monitors and microphones in that matter are vast unlike the other equipment and one should taste all of them they can before making the commitment to one.

You should stand for something or fall for anything
John Melloncamp.:cool:

Back