Any MIXING Competitions out there?

Maor

Hi guys, ive been reading here alot, but lately have started participating actively- specifically regarding mixing.
you can say it's my dream to one day be a mixing engineer. most of my activity you can see on the "mix this" forum, doing free mixes to forum members that upload original multitracks.

Anyway, i've found myself looking for more opportunities like these, and what comes to mind are mixing competitions. now, from what ive searched on the web, all references go to the gearfest mixing contest, that ended on June, and to the INDABA music website- but from what ive seen it's mostly DJ remixing oriented.

Let me cut to the chase- do you know any other mixing contest online? platforms that host these frequently?
and im not even looking for a big prize- just the opportunity to mix quality recordings and compare myself to others.

If there arent any competitions like that, i would love it if someone could direct me to a place i can mix music, for free. maybe a musicians community like here?

Ultimate metal has a bunch of raw tracks on their forum. Go to the Andy Sneap of Joey Sturgis forums. I'm pretty sure they're not "competitions" but people will do covers and put up the DI's or the guitars and bass and so on. Might be obvious but they're all metal songs.

Hi guys, ive been reading here alot, but lately have started participating actively- specifically regarding mixing.
you can say it's my dream to one day be a mixing engineer. most of my activity you can see on the "mix this" forum, doing free mixes to forum members that upload original multitracks.

Anyway, i've found myself looking for more opportunities like these, and what comes to mind are mixing competitions. now, from what ive searched on the web, all references go to the gearfest mixing contest, that ended on June, and to the INDABA music website- but from what ive seen it's mostly DJ remixing oriented.

Let me cut to the chase- do you know any other mixing contest online? platforms that host these frequently?
and im not even looking for a big prize- just the opportunity to mix quality recordings and compare myself to others.

If there arent any competitions like that, i would love it if someone could direct me to a place i can mix music, for free. maybe a musicians community like here?

Well, here you have the opportunity to get insight from the actual creators of the tracks. Contest? Well, there is no winner really in mixing. Maybe a guy looking for the perfect mix in a pool of guys willing to mix for free. This is not really that type of community.

You will find members that may or may not have more to offer than you here.

I think I remember guitargodgt mentioning a site that did this constantly. Not sure what it was called, or if it was him that mentioned it. There is a site that does that type of thing often.

I have multiple projects that I could send you, and likely others would as well. Not as a contest type of thing, but if you just want to play with strange situations and alternate recordings for self experience. I would send you some raw tracks.

Thank you guys.
maybe I overrated 'competition' in my original post, but to be honest, im just looking for a place where i can have access to quality tracks from all kinds of genres im close to, and just practice on them, have fun with them, and compare my work to those of others.

also, growing as an engineer and working the way up from hobby to being a pro- i'm looking for quality songs to mix that i can add to my profolio

mixoff seems like a great place at first glance, ill check it out tomorrow. thx guitargod

Last edited:
We've started a website for all of you in mind. Visit mixingcontest.com. We're rolling out a new responsive design later this year with full features. The service focuses on mixing contests only (NOT REMIXING CONTESTS). Sign up on our mailing list and check the site as we will be posting new opportunities. If you know of any resources or contests we can hook up with and start promoting, please let us know. We're trying to help out in this niche of the music industry. Thank you!

RecordingReview.com had a contest every month for the Slate Digital Cup. That was a lot of fun but it's over now. I've been looking for the same thing. I'm definitely going to check out those links. Thanks for sharing.

Indaba has a monthly Telefunken mixing contest, July is closed already but August should be out soon. They also occasionally have other mixing comps besides the Telefunken series just gotta keep an eye out

Back