Another Specific Mastering Question

Jeff

Hey guys,

Let's forget for a minute who is doing the "Mastering". My question is this. When a CD is sent through the mastering process are all songs adjusted in EQ to bring about a similar Sound Spectrum?

I ask this with this in mind. Let's say you have a CD with slightly different styles. A Piano-y Ballad kind of song followed by a electric guitar rock kind of thing. would you want to EQ based upon the style of song, or would you want a to maintain a similar spectrum balance throughout all songs?

Jeff

Wouldn't all of that be up to you? There are times when songs intentionally have lower recording levels than the other songs...there is usually a reason for it. Some people use the same sounds for guitars, bass, and drums on all songs, in which case the eq would probably remain consistent. I know of many albums that the eq is drastically diffent..and it makes each song more unique. I think it is all personal preference.

I have done several album projects, and I went the cheap way and did the mastering myself. I was not exactly consistent with levels, and I don't like having to turn up one song and then turn down the next one!! I think I will have my next project professionally mastered and leveled out.

Dom Franco

Back