Amplitube 3, mono/grouped tracks dilemma/Ableton?

constantthought

I don't know how to explain this very clearly but basically, say I have 2 mono guitar tracks recorded dry- one all the way L, the other all the way R. I group them and then I apply Amplitube 3, an Impulse Response program and then an EQ into the group (instead of on each track) as I need to cut down on memory usage.

Now, the way I pictured it in my mind was that Amplitube would take those 2 mono tracks and KEEP there panning orientation giving me a double track with half the memory used. Sadly this didn't happen and it just renders both of them Center and doesn't do as I expected. Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem or possibly another way around for doing double or even quad tracking with VST's while reducing memory load?

Last edited:
Never used ableton but should be pretty much the same ..

solo a guitar track,get it sounding something like right then bounce down to another track,but when you bounce take off the verbs and delays n EQ (save your EQ settings !!!),include only the guitar sim and cab sim (i assume cos you say "an Impulse Response program" <- that's cab IR ) ... do it with your other cpu heavy takes ... fake drums ? bounce and disable ...

you can archive/disable the original tracks .. could even hide them from view to avoid clutter,that way they are there for later in the game to make changes (if you want) ...

this will give you single distorted guitar tracks that you can still change the volumes on (and verbs n delay n EQ cos you didn't bounce them),you could even bounce the whole song and disable the lot letting your daw have all the cpu (at the live input maybe :D) ...

the worst thing in the world when writing is a daw dragging its ar*e when you need to get "that" take down quick ;)

if your at the writing stage you wanna keep real time cpu processing down as possible,this will give you a faster daw to play along (work out that solo/whatever) with the track,test cpu hungry synth presets e.t.c ...

Yea I used a similar method in the past for adding keys and strings or whatever to my finished tracks. It's bizarre, I used to be able to run 2-4 guitar rig 5 tracks and SD2.0 with no problems but amplitube seems to be a real Ram eater and even two is pushing the limit. It's just annoying really because i have a brand new 8 gigs of Ram right next to me, it just won't fit into my current motherboard.
Gahh, pay day seems a million miles away atm! 'Spose i should just practice patience and wait until I've upgraded my comp to 64-bit :P

Thanks for the advice cakewalkkaked!

Dont have the hi quality button pressed during tracking....enable this when youre bouncing it down, that should cut down the CPU load significantly

No need to bounce down until the songs finished, just freeze the track individually when CPU gets too high.

Amplitube should have little effect on your RAM, if this is being eaten up then id guess that the problem lies elsewhere. I use amplitube and Live with no problems on 4gb of RAM.

Last edited:
Btw Live 8.4 beta has just been released. Its 64bit so allows you to use more than the 4gb limit

sweet, that is good news. Tanks for the heads up. Tbh the problem is probably with my computer then, not to worry it will be as good as new in a week or so!

Back