Alternative to Steven Slate Drums

NashBackslash

I've always loved that bright, punchy snare sound from all my favourite metal records but I just can never get that sound no matter what combination of mic setup, tuning, pre-amp, equalization, compression and reverb I try. Fresh heads, dead heads, whatever, I've tried them all. Maple, brass, cheap and expensive, different snare sizes. Everything. And yes, the drummers that play them are damn good.

I have Drumagog with the standard set of samples but none of them really impressed me. So I looked around Drumagog's site to see if there are any nicer sample sets that I can buy and I stumbled upon Steven Slates drums.

I read the reviews and then proceeded to listen to his sample clips.

Boy, was I blown away. It was fucking awesome. THESE set of samples must be what most if not all of my favourite metal bands are using.

Unfortunately the price is a little too steep for me and I was disappointed to find out that there's no "send by e-mail" or download purchase option. I live outside the USA and it's very expensive for me.

I was wondering if any of you know any cheaper alternatives. If you want to know what kind of snare sound I'm looking for, go to http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/ and listen to the sample clips. I really want that kind of snare tone. No matter what I do, I just end up getting a snare sound similar to one of the clips on that site with the unprocessed sound (the one where the guy goes "let's take out the samples, and hear the original drums"). :(

Steven Slates Drum samples are pretty new, so I doubt they were the ones you heard on your favorite metal records.

Wat a free alternative? Go to the Drumagog site and download the Andy Sneap samples. It's just one set, but the kick and snare samples are great.

ps - it's in their forum section.

NashBackslash said:
I've always loved that bright, punchy snare sound from all my favourite metal records but I just can never get that sound no matter what combination of mic setup, tuning, pre-amp, equalization, compression and reverb I try. Fresh heads, dead heads, whatever, I've tried them all. Maple, brass, cheap and expensive, different snare sizes. Everything. And yes, the drummers that play them are damn good.

I've found that most of the snare sound comes from the room. If you want a big snare sound you need a big room.

Hey there guys. Before Steven Slate Drums were public, Steven was making drum samples for a lot of the top tier mixers in LA and NYC, probably for about two years before the collection was released. Truth be told, he sold to a ton of metal mixers and now that I work for the company and know the samples so well, I can sometimes identify the samples while listening to the radio. There are a few big mixers featured on the webpage but the list is much longer then that.

I hope you can save up for Steven's hits because you get a great package of not just metal samples, but samples for pop, rock, and R&B. Steven mixed my band last week and I recorded the drums in a tiny dead room but with the samples I could tell people we did them in a huge 2grand a day studio and they'd believe me.

Steven visits this forum frequently so I'm sure he'll be back here if anyone has any questions.

Here is a 20 dollar discount link, IGNORE the message about smeared discs, you'll get a new disc:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/discount.html

also, if you are overseas, we can probably work out a download for you.
Thanks,

Joel
Yellow Matter Entertainment

Hi Yellow Matter. I've e-mailed Steven and hope to get a reply soon.

I was wondering if you can name some bands/singers that use Steven's hits? There are a few songs which I *THINK* use them but it'd be great to see an official list or something. ;)

I'd be especially interested in finding out which of my favourite metal bands/songs are confirmed to be using the samples or not.

Hi Nash, which email address did you send it to?

To answer your question, I'm working on an official list of pro users, and a good start is now on our page at www.stevenslatedrums.com where you can find some huge names, all of them grammy winners too!

It gets a bit more touchy when you start naming actual artists and songs. A good way to go about it is to look at our clients and then listen to the albums that they've been doing and hear for yourself if you can hear my hits. But unless the mixer and the artist give me permission to list an actual song, I doubt I would do it. We also don't reveal the name of a pro mixer as our client if he or she does not want their name being used which unfortunately has been requested quite a bit.

There are definitely some pretty big metal guys in our book and I'll ask them if I can reveal their names, so hopefully I'll come back with some news for you.

Steven

Hi Steven, I just read your e-mail a few minutes ago before making this forum post. I've been busy with work.

As for the names; ah don't worry about it. It's no big deal. I only asked merely to satisfy my curiosity... ;)

Hey man, Andy Sneap has our collection and told me he uses it, along with his own samples as well. He's probably my favorite metal mixer, the guy rules.

Hey dude! AMR Console? Man thats waaaay back when, ey haha! Must have been way back in 2000 or so when I sold that thing, I went MIDAS for a bit before ending up with my modded Neotek Elite. Cool stuff man, what console did you end up getting?

I put a custom link for all BBS users to get the discount again all week. I'm in a good mood today!

www.stevenslatedrums.com/bbs.html

btw.. I hope no one things I'm trying to spam here, the thread has my product's name so I figured it was a bit on topic.. for any questions please hit me up at support@stevenslatedrums.com

Steven

Hey dude! AMR Console? Man thats waaaay back when, ey haha! Must have been way back in 2000 or so when I sold that thing, I went MIDAS for a bit before ending up with my modded Neotek Elite. Cool stuff man, what console did you end up getting?

I put a custom link for all BBS users to get the discount again all week. I'm in a good mood today!

www.stevenslatedrums.com/bbs.html

btw.. I hope no one things I'm trying to spam here, the thread has my product's name so I figured it was a bit on topic.. for any questions please hit me up at support@stevenslatedrums.com

Steven

Cool! Thanks man.

Yep, you wouldn't ship that AMR for nothing, so I got a Ghost - but sold that after I bought a Trident 80 Series. It sounds fricken great. Once it's fully re-done, it will be flat out amazing. :D

Thanks again for offering the discount!

PS - Is your band still together? I really dug the music.

that AMR board was actually a great board. Once the line inputs were modded with some better amps, it had a very neutral signal path. It didn't have the larger then life sound of my Neotek, but it certainly didn't muck up the sound like a lot of lower priced consoles did.

Band Blackline is still together and going strong in LA,
www.myspace.com/blackline

good to hear a blast from the past.

also check out this dude who made a video of his drummer playing that he later sync'd back with the audio, you're hearing snare3 and kick4 off the sample disc here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chD2uPL9qgs

really cool stuff

Back