Alesis M1 Active 520/520 USB monitors -- how do they compare to other 5" monitors?

JGAN

Alesis M1 Active 520/520 USB monitors -- how do they compare to other 5" monitors?

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a set of 5" monitors for mixing primarily (low) strings and piano, rock and classical. Maybe the occasional jazz and vocal tracks too. My room is pretty small -- about 14'x15'x7' (which is, unfortunately, squarish), but I have a decent bit of sound treatment in there already. I'm looking primarily at the Alesis M1 Active 520 or 520 USB and the Fostex PM0.5 original. Unfortunately, none of my local dealers carry either of these models so I can't try them myself.

My main question is: How do the Alesis and Fostex compare to other 5" monitors, like the HS50m, KRKs, BX5a, Reveals, and MR5s? I have tried some of those monitors, and thought the KRK and BX5a sounded colored and not flat on the bass end, but I did think that the KRK had a clear and detailed sound. I felt the MR5 was average in sound, and the Reveal had a very forward and punchy sound. Although I may spring for one of those other models, I would like to consider the Fostex and Alesis. Does anybody have any experience with them in comparison to others?

Also, does anybody know if there are any major difference between the USB and non-USB models of the Alesis?

Thanks,
JGAN

I would personally not touch a usb monitor with the proverbial BP unless it was a VERY expensive model.

Even then I would be worried that one day it would go "data ape***t" and deafen me! (well, deafen me even more) .

The price I found was $179 (pair?!) and that is barely out of "computer speaker" territory IMHO.

I eventually fixed on a pair of Tannoy 5As some 4 years ago and they cost me £225 pr IIRC. I do not expect and do not get deep, trouser flapping bass at that price but what LF there is seems very clean and controlled and I think that is the best you can expect at that price and size level.
My room is also small, 12.5x12x8.5ft.

Dave.

Thanks for your input Dave,
I would personally not touch a usb monitor with the proverbial BP unless it was a VERY expensive model.

Even then I would be worried that one day it would go "data ape***t" and deafen me! (well, deafen me even more) .

I'm not exactly sure what this means, or what "proverbial BP" is? Could you explain?

Thanks for your input Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what this means, or what "proverbial BP" is? Could you explain?

Google Barge Pole, meaning.

The data ***t probably happens less these days but there is always the potential for a digital system to crash in such a way that the level is slammed to max or you get white noise at 0dBFS. In both cases it is handy to have a big knob connected to an analogue, hardware control to shut things down.

Dave.

Ah, ok I understand now. Not to say I'm discrediting or ignoring your opinion or anything of the sort, but I don't think that's really a problem. Nevertheless, have you tried the Alesis or Fostex? I'm very much on the low-end here obviously :)

Alright, I have decided between the Alesis M1 Active 520 USB and KRK Rokit RP5G2. Which one translates better for you guys? That's my main concern. I'm really worried that the KRK will be too colored a sound and won't translate well at all, but I still haven't found an Alesis dealer near me :/

Alright, I have decided between the Alesis M1 Active 520 USB and KRK Rokit RP5G2. Which one translates better for you guys? That's my main concern. I'm really worried that the KRK will be too colored a sound and won't translate well at all, but I still haven't found an Alesis dealer near me :/

If you want uncoloured speakers I doubt you will beat the Tannoys at the price. I have found the Reveal 5As at 230Euros.
I went for the Tannoys because.
1) They beat every other small monitor in a blind shootout.
2) Tannoy have been around longer than me!
3) They have a reputation to consider and don't make every other electronic gimcrack on the planet.
(bit chuffed that the Chrome spellchecker flags your "colored" and not my "coloured"!)

Dave.

I found the 501a to have a very forward and harsh sound, sort of punchy and over-articulate compared to others. Is that a problem?

Back