Alesis M1 Active 320 or MAudio Studio Pro 3 monitors? (under $100)

stephytunes

I was looking for some portable studio monitors to do some mixing on and my research pretty much came down to these two. I'm looking for some monitors under $100... which one is the best out of these and/or is there a better one available for the price?

I'm pretty much sold on the Alesis but want to make sure i'm doing a good purchase. Thank you!

Steph :D

But if you've really done research, you've realized that:
1) Monitors at that price point are going to have big flaws/inconsistencies/disadvantages as compared to ones at a higher price point,
2) You're paying less at that price point for sound quality and more for the feature set (ie, prosumer level features like onboard D/A converters, ipod docks, rca inputs, etc...)
and, most importantly,
3) The only one who can tell you which monitors are "best" out of any selection of them is you. There are multiple online vendors with wide open return policies and generous pay as you play plans, so you really shouldn't have any reason not to be able to test out multiple sets of monitors in your own studio space and decide which ones work best for you. You'll end up paying maybe $15-$20 more on return shipping, but if it's really worth it to you to figure out which ones are the absolute best at your particular price point, listening to them is the only way to find out.

All that being said, whichever ones you said you were already sold on are the best. This is based on no knowledge of those monitors or of you and your tastes/preferences/musical style but is the absolute truth. The Interwebs gives you permission to buy them.:D

I'll go for secret option number 3:

Krk Rokit 5's :D :D

Seriously, save up and get those mofo's... Thank me later :)

You're better off saving and investing in something you'll keep for a lot longer ;)

Other than that, I don't know which is the best between the two you mentioned, never heard em.

I'll go for secret option number 3:

Krk Rokit 5's :D :D

Seriously, save up and get those mofo's... Thank me later :)

You're better off saving and investing in something you'll keep for a lot longer ;)

Other than that, I don't know which is the best between the two you mentioned, never heard em.

Really? If they're good i wouldn't mind spending a tad more. I also read the M-Audio AV40 are also a good option in that price range.

Thank you for a real answer! :)

Really? If they're good i wouldn't mind spending a tad more. I also read the M-Audio AV40 are also a good option in that price range.

KRK Rokits are pretty much tagged as "Monitors that sound like they cost way more"... so trust me, you're getting great value ;) I have a pair, and they sound amazing.

Now, I've been lucky enough to be able to compare them to really high end monitors like dynaudios and genelecs, but they still don't make the krk's look bad in the slightest. Some people say that with such a small driver, you'll be lacking some bass response.

I haven't had that problem. They're absolutely fine in the low end IMO.

(in these threads, I swear I come across as a KRK salesman :p)

But yeah: Owner of KRK, swear by them, great value for money, go for it ;)

Back