Advice on why my mixes come out so ugly, or, am I expecting too much from my setup?

werewolf831

Basically, everything I mix down to cd sounds like it was recorded with boombox that has a built-in microphone. Sonically speaking it's very poor.

I don't have the greatest set-up, but it's decent. Furthermore, I've heard people with the same and lesser set-up's who's recordings sound just fine.

I track with an LX20 Adat and Mackie 1604vlz pro, use the rca Tape outs on the Mackie into the rca ins on an Audiophile 24/96, using Cool edit 2000 to capture the final mix.
Maybe someone here can determine the poor sonic quality, because I am at a loss. I've heard better results recording straight into a Panasonic Cd burner with an Sm57!
Here is a short sample of what I'm talking about.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2409&alid=-1

I know this is a lot to ask, so thanks for taking the time.

Re: Advice on why my mixes come out so ugly, or, am I expecting too much from my setup?

werewolf831 said:
I don't have the greatest set-up, but it's decent. Furthermore, I've heard people with the same and lesser set-up's who's recordings sound just fine.

My guess is you need to continue refining your skills when it comes to tracking and mixing. Your stuff doesn't sound horrible . . . but with more practice and experience you will get a much better sound, in time. For now, read . . . ask questions . . . take classes or workshops . . . maybe volunteer/intern at a nearby reputable recording facility, if you're serious about getting better.

But take it a step at a time. Don't just ask blanket questions like "How can I get stuff to sound better?" Start with the source -- how to select the right instruments, amps, etc. to get the sound you want, how to tune them, etc. Then move on to your room accoustics; understand as much as you can about sound waves and how your sonic environment may be helping or hindering you. Then move on to mic selection and postitioning; become as much of an expert as you can at that. Then move on to gain-staging, then to processing and mixing; whole books are written and classes taught about each one of these steps.

Small, incremental improvements in each one of these areas can add up to a sizeable improvement in the quality of your final mixes.

First, don't get discouraged. You are certainly not alone. We all struggle with these issues to one degree or another. Second, remember that you are 90 percent of the way there! The rest comes in small increments from experience, experimentation, and sometimes improvements in your equipment. Finally, keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun. Convince yourself that you enjoy solving problems in your mixes and remember that if you acheived perfection you would probably stop recording or perhaps become an engineer!

You seem very focused on the back end of the signal chain. Consider this- Now I don't know what you use for mics, or whether the Mackie's pres are the only pres you have. If tou have a great musician with a great instrument playing a great song in a great room, and the mics are well placed, and run into top shelf preamps, I'm betting you could make very good recordings with a boombox. It is quite illuminating that you told me everything about where the signal is going, and nothing about where it's coming from. I think you may have the cart before the horse.-Richie

ahh the basics of life.......

Here is my new found killer setup for my electric guitar sound.

You will notice the Fender SuperReverb is using the tiltback legs (mainly because they rattle if you don't...but it looks cool anyways. Oh, and it gets the sound off of the floor and into the AIR. Where have we heard that word before....??????? umm.......hmmm........oh......air-ee....warm.....smooth.....any bs you want to use)

Next you will see the AKG C3000B. The single most hated mic ever made. But it works for me. Notice it is not pointed at the speaker... ...but the speaker is pointed at the mic... Yes, it does defy logic. And its not even that close to the mic. I mean...my God, I must be doing something wrong.

And now I am getting tired so I leave you to see and hear the important stuff.

Fender '52 RI Telecaster into a BigMuff into a SuperReverb w/ reverb into a Davisound MicPre into Roland VS1680 with a HINT....mind you...of stereo reverb.

Notice there really isn't any processing going on. 99% percent pure signal. ie: its the front end that counts ;)

Back