Advice from the elderly ;)

GassyEmu

Hello all!
I am applying to med school soon and as a result, my time has only consisted of either working to pay rent, or studying for the MCAT. It's been about a year since I recorded or mixed anything. Tonight I loaded up Logic Pro X for the first time and I gotta say, I'm a little discouraged. The combination of relearning a (practically) new DAW and being out of practice for over a year has completely destroyed my "engineer self-esteem".
I recorded one of my friends a while back really quickly-just to have the song ideas recorded so we wouldn't forget. A year ago I would have been able to edit the crap out of it to bring it to a "decent" quality. Tonight, everything sounds terrible. No matter what adjustment I make, it creates 5 other problems in the mix.

So my question to anyone is: what do you do after you haven't recorded in a while? How do you get back "in the groove"? Any suggestions on how to become comfortable with fixing problems again? For the veterans who have done this for longer than I've been born, did you ever go through periods recording-free and how did you get back into it?

Additionally I would ask: "is there any hope for me?" haha. I recorded and mixed my butt off for 5 years just to be competent at it and now it feels like I'm back to square one. If there is a silver lining, it's that I moved from the suburbs of North Carolina to downtown Nashville (haven't recorded since I moved here), so it's not like my area is devoid of musicians.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I used to have all the time in the world to write and record. Now my new job has me traveling a lot and when I'm home, I either have a long to-do list or I just don't have the inspiration to write new songs and record them.

So, to help fight the atrophy, I work a little on old songs, tweaking and preening, etc. Keep my head in the game . I've got 9 songs nearly ready for a 12 song album. The last three are taking a real long time coming. I've got ideas, but can't seem to get them to point of being entertaining and worthy of recording them. Too many distractions. I think at some point all this bottled up inspiration will spew out into the remaining songs. Until then, I'll keep tweaking on the 9.

Haha Chilli's got a honey Do list. Who would have thought. :)
I'm only laughing because my wife had me clear mine before our vacation. Now where there she's compiling the next one.

Back