Adding multiple FX to multiple channels

scalpel

Hello everyone.

I am a newbie to mixing.

Is it possible to add different Fx to different channels?

Example, say a Delay FX for a microphone and a Reverb effect for the keyboard at the same time in live setting?

Also, is it possible to mix two different Fx into a single channel, for example a Delay FX + Reverb FX into a single Microphone?

Sorry if these questions seem too basic.

I am planning to get a basic mixer. Something along the lines of Yamaha MG12/4 Fx.

Will it do the job?

If you mean a mixer with built-in FX, the answer is most likely 'no' until you get to a very high level (like a QSC Touchmix) Mixers like the Yammie will only let you select one FX at a time, then you can set how much effect is on each channel.

If you mean a mixer with built-in FX, the answer is most likely 'no' until you get to a very high level (like a QSC Touchmix) Mixers like the Yammie will only let you select one FX at a time, then you can set how much effect is on each channel.

Alright thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know. Guess I can make do with a mixer without any Fx too then.

A little reverb can be nice for some singers. And, the Yammies are good, durable beasts.

I like the compressor on those, also for some singers, even acoustic guitar. A friend has been using his Y for*ever* and I have a cheap Behri of similar design with less channels because I like having the option of using those two things vs. completely dry (or spending a lot more money). Depends on the folks behind the mic, of course.

A little reverb can be nice for some singers. And, the Yammies are good, durable beasts.

I like the compressor on those, also for some singers, even acoustic guitar. A friend has been using his Y for*ever* and I have a cheap Behri of similar design with less channels because I like having the option of using those two things vs. completely dry (or spending a lot more money). Depends on the folks behind the mic, of course.

Hmmm, you do make a good argument there. I was thinking more along the lines of making the singers pitch to buy a vocal processor of their own, but given that they are bound to be stingy with their purses, I think having some FX options onboard might be a good backup. Thanks for your input. :)

This might be a good time to learn the difference between series and parallel effects, and how to use inserts vs. an effects send.

Yeah, maybe we're not clear on why [MENTION=199811]scalpel[/MENTION] wants a mixer... With the model shown, I was assuming for live sound, but this *is* HR, after all...

This might be a good time to learn the difference between series and parallel effects, and how to use inserts vs. an effects send.

Wow, thanks for the tip. I did read up some articles about it and do now understand how a few things work. Yet to read up on inserts and send, but yes, I am sure that will help a lot too. Thank you so much. :)

Yeah, maybe we're not clear on why [MENTION=199811]scalpel[/MENTION] wants a mixer... With the model shown, I was assuming for live sound, but this *is* HR, after all...

Basically, the thing is I am not the lone person who will be recording. We are trying to get a trio of guys to play together at the same time and record our stuff. You know, the bare starting of a band or something. Without recording, listening and ironing out our flaws though, we wouldn't improve.

Wow, thanks for the tip. I did read up some articles about it and do now understand how a few things work. Yet to read up on inserts and send, but yes, I am sure that will help a lot too. Thank you so much. :)

Traditionally, an effects send (a.k.a. post fader auxiliary send) is used to add a parallel effect to multiple channels of the mixer. It's most commonly used for reverb but can also be used for delay/echo and other things. With an effects loop the return of the effect to the mixer should be 100% effect ("wet") and none of the original ("dry") signal.

The inserts are used to add series effects to a single channel. Most often they're used for compressors, but you can also put eq on them. You could use them with reverb or other parallel effects if the effects unit has a mix knob to control the balance of the effect and the original signal, but most of the time those are better on an effects loop.

Basically, the thing is I am not the lone person who will be recording. We are trying to get a trio of guys to play together at the same time and record our stuff. You know, the bare starting of a band or something. Without recording, listening and ironing out our flaws though, we wouldn't improve.
Well, you can do that kind of evaluation with a simple digital recorder (like a Zoom H1) in the room. Is your plan to have a mixer that can transition to something for live use, or is this solely for recording the group at home?

A mixer like the one you described is only going to let you create a stereo track, and then the levels, FX, EQ that you've set on the mixer is what you're going to have recorded, with little chance to correct problems with individual tracks, i.e., do the mixing step that is traditionally done when creating a recording in a home studio.

Using inserts and the like for a band are (IME) usually only done with larger setups involving rack mounted gear, or perhaps in semi-permanent locations. If you're looking for something that has the capability to just record in stereo with some built-in FX, and the possibility to use it as a live mixer, then something like that Yamaha may be appropriate. If you're thinking about setting up to create recordings, collecting a few mics, and then wanting to do actual mixing of the recorded tracks, it's not whare I'd start. For that, a simple interface that is designed to provide some microphone preamps and allow recording individual tracks is more useful. When using one of those, it's common to add and adjust the effects during mixing.

There are also mixers that provide digital output so you can have both a live performance mixer and recording interface in the same piece of equipment, but they are more expensive. At the price point you've suggested, you get one or the other.

Traditionally, an effects send (a.k.a. post fader auxiliary send) is used to add a parallel effect to multiple channels of the mixer. It's most commonly used for reverb but can also be used for delay/echo and other things. With an effects loop the return of the effect to the mixer should be 100% effect ("wet") and none of the original ("dry") signal.

The inserts are used to add series effects to a single channel. Most often they're used for compressors, but you can also put eq on them. You could use them with reverb or other parallel effects if the effects unit has a mix knob to control the balance of the effect and the original signal, but most of the time those are better on an effects loop.

This was such good info. Now I understand what all those knobs on the mixer do exactly and which are series/parallel effects and which are inserts/sends. Thank you so much. :)

Well, you can do that kind of evaluation with a simple digital recorder (like a Zoom H1) in the room. Is your plan to have a mixer that can transition to something for live use, or is this solely for recording the group at home?

A mixer like the one you described is only going to let you create a stereo track, and then the levels, FX, EQ that you've set on the mixer is what you're going to have recorded, with little chance to correct problems with individual tracks, i.e., do the mixing step that is traditionally done when creating a recording in a home studio.

Using inserts and the like for a band are (IME) usually only done with larger setups involving rack mounted gear, or perhaps in semi-permanent locations. If you're looking for something that has the capability to just record in stereo with some built-in FX, and the possibility to use it as a live mixer, then something like that Yamaha may be appropriate. If you're thinking about setting up to create recordings, collecting a few mics, and then wanting to do actual mixing of the recorded tracks, it's not whare I'd start. For that, a simple interface that is designed to provide some microphone preamps and allow recording individual tracks is more useful. When using one of those, it's common to add and adjust the effects during mixing.

There are also mixers that provide digital output so you can have both a live performance mixer and recording interface in the same piece of equipment, but they are more expensive. At the price point you've suggested, you get one or the other.

Yes, that is the exact idea. A mixer that would help with a live setup for a really small crowd later on. I wouldn't be doing much with multi-track recordings, but some basic stereo recordings would be good enough for now until we decide to get really serious about stuff. For the price point we are at, we probably won't be able to afford much higher priced equipment which would help with both recording and live for now. Later on, we can definitely look at some better equipment.

If you want to get something to record direct to a computer, then I'd look for a mixer that also has a USB output, unless someone already has an audio interface to take the mixer's analog output and convert it.

I totally agree... use inserts for seperate FX... during live gigs even tho i would run sound from stage as guitarist (wireless to be able to walk around and get an ear for adjustments) i would usuellay use a 2 channel compressor on the kick and bass guitar...1 channel for the kick ( along with a 31 band eq in the chain ) and 1 for the bass channel and use the inserts to that channel to control them by themselves ...

Back