Adam T5V, Focal Alpha 50 or Tannoy Gold 5

adam79

I've narrowed my monitor search down to three, and I'm having a difficult time choosing. I'm interested in the Adam T5V, Focal Alpha 50 and Tannoy Gold 5.

Anyone familiar with these three care to suggest one?

Thanks.

What would you do if 20 people replied, 6 in favour of each monitor and two saying they'd used all 3 and they were all excellent ?
Similarly, what would you do if 20 people replied and between them all, they all came down shitting heavily on the three {ie, maybe 7 hated the Adam, 5 hated the Focal and 8 couldn't stand the Tannoy} ?
You'd be in exactly the same situation !
I guess that's just a roundabout way of saying that when it comes down to it, choosing monitors is a gamble because even if you test out a few in a store, it's not the place you'll be mixing and monitoring. Unless you have a way of taking all three to your pad and giving each set an extensive workout in varying conditions like you will do when you settle on a set, what you'll mainly get from people advising you is preferences of which ones we like or don't like.
I know that's probably about as helpful to you as being locked in a room with a hungry tiger but what I would advise is that of the three you've narrowed your choice down to, pick one, forget the others and go about cultivating a relationship with your new set. Get to know them and how they interact with your environment and if some things aren't satisfactory, then work out how to get around that {lots of great advice here !;)} and don't try to dream of what might have been.
It's always a gamble.

JBL 305s, although I generally like ribbon tweeters. I haven't gotten to listen to the Adams in a long time, so I can't really compare the two.

The right way to check out monitors is to listen to them. Bring a CD with a few reference tracks, plus some tracks you've mixed and recorded. You want something well balanced, so that any aberrations show up easily.

Going simply on internet comments is a bit of a crap shoot.

It's pretty hard to make a decision without first listening, and maybe OP has, and that's how these 3 came out on top, but as already said, it really needs to be at home, so if you can buy locally with the option to return, that would be ideal.

I have my Yamaha HS5s which I really like. I recently moved my older computer/interface to my home "office" and thought about moving the HS5s along and looking at upgrades. I'd bought the Yamahas in a rush when my (earlier model/generation) JBL 5s had one fail in the middle of a project, and I felt safe with the brand. Now that I'm used to them, I found it hard to listen to anything else in the store! (I really found those Adam's grating, though I guess maybe that's a good sign, but I left completely perplexed, without buying anything...)

Back