Active Monitor Recommendation?

Alanfc

Hello- didn't get many answers on this from the Newbie board- anyone here care to take a look?
Thanks

---------------

I have read a gillion posts on monitors. Probably missed some- but anyways I'm looking for some Active monitors for a decent price.
Under $200.? I have seen a few on the music retailer websites.

If I list a few Active Monitor models, can someone give me a thumbs up or down? Is this oversimplifying it? (I am recording simple hard rock with PC recording software) Basically looking to weed out the lemons:

-Edirol MA-5A
-Roland MA-8
-Stageworks LX-SW2
-Yamaha MSP-3
-Edirol MA-10D

Thanks

None of the above........

Yorkville YSM-1P
Tannoy Reveals
JBL 25LSR
Events
KRKs
Mackies

Those are the ones I'd recommend...........

He's looking for recommendations under $200 (per pair, I'm assuming).

Unfortunately, there probably isn't much worth buying for less than $400/pr, and that's at the very least.

If you can't afford a decent pair of actives yet, maybe consider buying passives and an amp used, one piece at a time (well, the monitor PAIR counts as a piece)?

You can get an Alesis RA100 amp used for $125 (I know, I did.)

But I'd save for a Hafler P or TA series used instead: P1500 = $200 (I did this ... sounds much better than the Alesis)

You can get decent passives then for $200 ... what I got my Event 20/20s for used, but I'm sure there are others.

Regarding things like the Roland MA8, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, one music-store guy (a friend, actually, who wasn't trying to sell me anything ... I go to the store just to visit him and others there sometimes) told me many of those monitors are kinda like "really nice computer speakers." Not really worth the dough. If the MA8s are like $84 a piece, those are the ones he was referring to.

Hope this helps.

So thats Settled

Thank you all for the info on monitors

I will wait a bit and then buy some real ones like you recommend

Back