Active Monitor Cabling

tkingen

Djembes Rock
I just purchased my first pair of active studio monitors...Mackie HR624's. The GC salesman informed that you don't need speaker cable for hookup because there is no voltage going through the cable. His suggestion was to "Just use the best 1/4" guitar cable that you have."
So, is this correct? I went home and used a couple of Monster 500 cables that are longer used for guitar. Of course, there is an XLR jack, too. What's the better solution?
These little Mackies are certainly an improvement over my passive Event 20/20's, but I'm wondering if the cabling suggestion is correct. I glanced through the manual but didn't see any information on cable types.

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Sorry guys...I just did a search and found the answers to my questions. It's all been covered before!

Terry

Really? After searching for info on this forum I was under the impression that instrument cable would work fine. Of course, then you enter the balanced vs unbalanced issue.

Terry

A guitar cable would work, sure. But if you have a balanced outputs on your mixer/souncard (I don't know how you're running it), you want balanced lines to the monitors.

Back