About Auto-Tune Pro

kfir_frr

Hi,
I'm working with "Pro Tools" and I want to know,
At what point am I supposed to start using "Auto-Tune Pro" plugin , right after I recorded some vocal?
Should I run it along with the guitar channel for exapmle in the background or just on the vocal channel itself?

Another question please,
About the plugin itself, I'm wondering, does this plugin comes with "pro tools" or should I buy this separately?

Tahnks!

You seem to be thinking that you have some sort of rigid rule to follow.
1. record audio
2. apply compression
3. apply eq
4. apply autotune
5. add in other processes until finished?

Autotune can be used as an effect, or as a polishing tool. Of course it's also used as a repair tool. I use it quite a lot lately to make up for my poor intonation on my double bass, where tempo seems to make my pitching very dodgy. I use it on just the iffy notes, leaving the rest, even though perhaps not 100% spot on, alone.

On a singer - I'll listen to what I've recorded then look for tools to make it better. Perhaps a gentle amount of compression - maybe, if it needs it. Any pitching issues jump out, and like my bass, if it's the odd really bad one, I can fix just those. Other singers need it on a gentler setting throughout. Some don't need it at all. I don't produce music that uses it for effect, but of course I have done the odd Cher effect for a specific need.

You run it on the channel that you are working on - voice, fretless or acoustic bass. Why would you want (not that it would work very well, if at all) on the guitar? Confused.

You run it on the channel that you are working on - voice, fretless or acoustic bass. Why would you want (not that it would work very well, if at all) on the guitar? Confused.

Thank you for your detailed answer.
I don't want to use this on a guitar channel,
I only asked if I need to use this plugin with any additional channels or only on a single vocal without any other "background noises".

Not sure what you mean by background noises? If you mean spill from other instruments - then it can kill auto tune's ability to function. If the vocal has a guitar audible - as in on stage, then if you re-rune the vocal, the guitar goes with it and is then out of tune with the original guitar. Auto-tune works best with isolated tracks.

It works as a stand alone process. Clearly you need to help it - they can work in chromatic mode or many of them allow you to set a Major or minor scale, and only notes from that scale can then exist. Ok for some styles, kiss of death to others.

About the plugin itself, I'm wondering, does this plugin comes with "pro tools" or should I buy this separately?

Protools has elastic pitch built in which allows you to change pitch, in cents, of any clip.
You can break a single word of vocal into its own clip and tune that one word.
It's a really useful tool and very natural sounding for small fixes, but it's not autotune and not really comparable.
It also wouldn't be ideal if a track needs lots of fixes.

I tend to favour that approach for corrective work because it's difficult, or inconvenient, to get carried away; You tend to only really use it if it's really necessary.

Use of an autotune plugin should be, in my opinion, at the start of a plugin chain and on an isolated recording.
If a recording has some big eq issue like being mega boomy or something, I could understand putting the tuning plug after a corrective EQ plug.

If you record vocal and guitar with one microphone, for example, autotune isn't going to work on that recording.

I would insert any kind of auto tune before anything else, recorded track > auto tune > eq > compression.

You can't use auto tune if there is a lot of instrument spill as it will try to auto tune the vocal and the spill will go out of tune.

Alan.

There are some great teaching videos on how to use autotune. Getting the right key and scale will help a lot. The slowest speed you can get by with, will make the corrections sound the most natural. Fast speeds for the autotune effects.

Hi,
I'm working with "Pro Tools" and I want to know,
At what point am I supposed to start using "Auto-Tune Pro" plugin , right after I recorded some vocal?
Should I run it along with the guitar channel for exapmle in the background or just on the vocal channel itself?

Another question please,

Tahnks!

Add it right after. If you add it before, or attempt to use it with the singer, it will add unwanted latency. It will also confuse the singer.

To the second part, you have to buy it separately. Its $400.

Back