Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3 guitars all playing together seperation tips

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This is all good stuff guys ill try these little tweaks to see if I can get a little more separation. And it's true I have much less issues when im recording with clean undistorted guitars I can usually get good separation with just a little chorus and things it's just always distorted that I struggle to hear things coming through and end up turning up... turning up... turning up till I end up turning everything down and starting again.

The less distortion thing I know would work but then the track goes from being an energetic pop punk track to a clean pop track just with losing that slight edge, this track in particular I was aiming for an XTC Making plans with Nigel meets televisions marque moon... and trying to find that middle ground of the cleaner sound of marquee moon mixed with the distorted backdrop of the television song.

Aslong as I'm making progress I don't tend to lose interest it's just when I'm constantly hitting a brick wall that I end up switching it off, so I can either be having fun for four hours or giving up after a miserable hour and relistening to King crimson and wondering how they do it lol

What does Reverb do beyond what I hear, I mean I can hear what it does but how does it help or affect a mix is it just used purely for creating an echo or sustained sound or is there an actual function for using it in a mix beyond the superficial ? I have an idea why eq works by removing and boosting certain frequencies but I also hear about reverb and compression ( which I still don't know how to work properly either) being vital to mixing.

While im on the topic any good videos of a well know producer working on a track doing the things were discussing would be great to hear what he is hearing and see how he physically alters things to get it to sound right... been trying to see if there is a Stephen street one as he must have had a hard time with johnny marrs layered guitars,.
    Last edited by fendertelemusik; 6 Days Ago at 17:20.

Thanks
    So ive been tampering around and I think I know what the main issue im having is... certain parts of all the tracks are too quiet or too loud depening on how hard ive strummed,plucked or hit/drum.

Im guessing this is where compression plays a part stopping the tracks going above a certain level and bring up the parts where it dips for a consistent level throughout.

Thanks
    The $64 dollar question. How much is not enough and what to do about it???

Arrangement arrangement arrangement......There's some great information the posts already. Not sure I can improve on it.

It's really hard to separate yourself from things that you have played into an arrangement of a song you've written and are producing. Lot's of "you" in that statement. Getting the picture yet?

Like I said it's really hard to let go of things but it is something you have to know how to do when producing. I tell my clients right up front and especially if I'm getting tracks that I haven't tracked...."My red edit pen has a broad tip and if you are going to be offended by what I might take out or put somewhere else then I'm not the producer for you"

My best tip I can give you is this....When looking at the tracks in a song arrangement you really have to seriously ask yourself, 'does this particular track serve the song?'
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fendertelemusik View Post
    So ive been tampering around and I think I know what the main issue im having is... certain parts of all the tracks are too quiet or too loud depening on how hard ive strummed,plucked or hit/drum.

Im guessing this is where compression plays a part stopping the tracks going above a certain level and bring up the parts where it dips for a consistent level throughout.
    DO NOT become enamored with a compressor. If you are not really sure what a compressor does then use it sparingly if at all. It can be a marvelous tool for shaping the sound of something but using it as a repair tool leads to many 'other' problems

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cavedog101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you're not sure about compression, look at volume automation first. I'm not sure what you're recording on, but pretty much any DAW will allow you to draw volume envelopes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snow lizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog101 View Post
    DO NOT become enamored with a compressor. If you are not really sure what a compressor does then use it sparingly if at all. It can be a marvelous tool for shaping the sound of something but using it as a repair tool leads to many 'other' problems
    hey cavedog this is a track that has 3 guitars in the intro which im trying to get with my song, all his parts sound very separate from each other and even when the third one comes in it doesn't swamp the song but can still be made out clearly. despite all 3 guitars being very forward in the mix the bass and drums still have a nice full sound and don't appear to be any less quiet than the guitars but it all just meshes great to create a thumping track.

This is what im trying to achieve with my 3 guitar parts.. they play a similar style and counter and at the same time I want to have drum and bass really driving the song, I get that sometimes a certain part is uncalled for and can be taken out and I have cut tracks when I felt isn't adding to the mood or feel of the song in the past.. the hardest part for me is I can hear how it should sound in my head its just getting the know how to make it happen.

Thanks
    had a look that's interesting and would allow me to cut parts in and out as mentioned earlier nice one.

Thanks
    I would but apparently the tracks are not available in my country......Never seen that before.

Thanks
    Reference tracks not available in my country, but listening to your original 3 guitar mix... all 3 of the guitar tones are pretty much sounding the "same" to me... so regardless of what you're playing on each part... they all blend together. Not only is it a matter of "EQ" but overall "Tone". Using 3 totally different sounding "tones" for each part is probably what you're really trying to accomplish. That is how you can focus on one part over the other, because it "sounds" different. Using different guitars with different effects and different amps with different settings is what you'll want to do first. Then you'll want to use EQ to further shape and balance your sounds. The only time you'd even care about having "similar" sounding "tones" for guitars, is if you're double tracking left/right rhythm guitars or leads... even then having slight variances in tone is better than playing the same part through the same exact amp with the same exact settings with the same exact guitar.

Also, I'll repeat the "arrangement" thing... try and figure out "which" parts of the left/right guitar parts are what "make" the part... you'd be surprised at how little you actually need to play... I struggle with this as well, I have a bad habit of wanting to play a note on every 8th note... leaving no space... but that's what you need to do... create space. If you already have the "rhythm" guitar in the center strumming along on every 8th note... you don't need both left/right guitars playing notes there too. Hope this helps.

Thread Information