Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 Acoustic guitars

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    My ears want variety, and I get that in the second clip with the addition of the kick, the tambourine, the electric guitar and the vocal. I can also see the usefulness of changing one of the acoustic parts with a capo or adding some damping by using bar chords versus open chords. And tasteful compression makes sense, especially when you add other sounds to the mix. But, all in all, the initial clip sounds good to me. It's well played and well miked. And you don't really hear any of the typical acoustic recording issues, like harshness or roominess. Maybe you're over thinking (or over mixing) this.

Thanks
    How about you pan 45% or 50% left right instead of full pan, I find I very rarely full pan (100%) anything. For example fully paned stuff never works for me if listening to headphones.

Alan.

Thanks
    Thanks guys I've taken a lot of the suggestions on board, re-panned, re-equed and compressed.
    Here's the track going into verses 2 and 3 including bass. Any bass comments? (or anything)
    There's no reverbs on yet as I don't want to muddy things even more.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
    Thanks guys I've taken a lot of the suggestions on board, re-panned, re-equed and compressed.
    Here's the track going into verses 2 and 3 including bass. Any bass comments? (or anything)
    There's no reverbs on yet as I don't want to muddy things even more.
    Thanks.
    On my computer speakers it sounds okay although a bit tinny. The music is very repetitive which I did not care for.
    Maybe if I played it on the stereo speakers it would sound a lot better. Not sure that would help the repetition though.

And it could be my pc speakers but I did not notice any bass. Or else there was nothing but bass. All I heard was one relatively fixed range.

Thanks
    The bass comes in about half way through that clip mr average, did you get that far?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
    The bass comes in about half way through that clip mr average, did you get that far?
    will go back and try again

now i hear the bass. sounds better than the other part.
    overall better at the end but still hear a bit of something 'tinny' which may be the pc speakers fault
    not sure if i heard somebody trying to say something near the end as it was low and muffled

Thanks
    This version shows what the original issue was.......in that there was not enough in the middle to justify the extremely wide panning. Having said that....some of the other instruments you've added are also......seemingly.......hard panned as well......only adding to the original issue IMO. Around 1:00 is a good example on the left side. A thin sounding guitar (I think) panned hard left. Does it have to be hard left? If you listen with cans.....you can hear it right away and to me it's a bit distracting. By the way....these are nit piks....and only my opinion.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    I agree with Mickster that a lot of instruments seem to be hard-panned or at least way to one side where they could be brought to closer to the middle. I don't really hear the acoustic left-right problem with all the other instruments in there, but hiding the problem is not the ideal solution. (may as well just use one acoustic guitar track panned towards the center than two similar ones.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    The hard panning (or lack of activity in the middle) may seem less important when the vocal is added back in. Similar to the second track you posted. And that may solve the issue people keep focusing on.

As far as the other added guitar parts, I'd be inclined to remove the Wah pedal guitar. I think that's what I hear. It's a little distracting and inconsistent with the genre. Of course, that's just me. I'm not a big Wah fan unless the song is Season of the Witch or a funk number. Like George Harrison said, "I don't need no Wah Wah."

I do like the slightly dirty guitar and the occasional volume pedal swell panned from side to side.

I'd also be tempted to build the song a little differently. First, two acoustic guitars. Then add vocal. Then bass. Then the rest of the guitars. Again, my two cents and IMHO.
    Last edited by dwillis45; 04-06-2019 at 18:10.

Thanks
    pan inwards a little more

Thread Information