150$ Home studio with industry quality

JHutch420

Banned
Hey all. I have figured out a way to get studio quality with my Samson GTrack, Mixcraft 5, and Izotope Ozone 5, while recording in your room. You can definately figure it out as well. I cannot explain my entire process in this thread but if you want to hear what a 150 $ studio can sound like check the link in my signature. You can compare your 30$ an hour studio quality to mine and you will be more than amazed. Im just trying to spread some hope to all those like me who dont have much to work with.. we can get quality too.. just keep practicing and researching your craft.

Hints to Mastering.

The problem areas on these cheaper USB mics seems to be the mid-lows, the "muddyness", and peaks. A trick I use is too lower the 200 - 400 hz range on the EQ about 2 dbs on the vocal tracks and also put a high-shelf on the EQ raising the 8,000 - 15,000 hz range. If too much is added or taken away it could also kill your mix so use the EQ with a good ear. As for the peaks, there is a free compressor VST compatible with almost all DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation) called Modern Compressor. You can download this from a number of sites. It comes in a pack called "Modern VST Pack". I found it on google within two sites so it shouldnt be hard for you. In this compressor there is a limiter setting which works VERY well.. what I do is set my attack at the lowest so the compressor effects the signal of the peak instanly and set the release to about 150 so it doesnt end to sudden. Doing that lets the compressor be more transparent. Then I raise the threshold to about 19 and the ratio to somewhere around 4. Theres also a "knee" option (limit of output compressed signal) which I also raise up to about 3 - 5 depending on the need for it. Then you have your input signal option I raise about a third of the way to give more volume. Set my limiter within the compressor anywhere from a tad to all the way so you have to play with that setting. But basically this compressor is the best free one I have found. Try these 2 simple techniques and I guarentee a better mix to be sent for mastering.

Another tip would be the mastering suite I use, Izotope Ozone 5. When you have your final mix and you still dont think it sounds good enough or loud as the industry music out today, Izotope will indefinately help this. This mastering suite is by far the best Ive worked with. It has 2 internal EQ's, Dynamic Compression, Maximizer with high quality settings, Stereo Image Processor, and a Reverb setting. I know it all sounds confusing but honestly its really pretty simple. I dont have enough time on here to explain how to use this VST with each setting but I will say, if you want your mix louder? Use the Maximizer setting, set your output level to -0.1 so the output signal wont peak, because as any amateur should know -0.1 is the closest we can get to maximum sound without distortion (unless you recorded your vocals too high). Then lower the threshold anywhere from -1.0 db - -4.0 db. If you add to much, depending on the mix, it could take away the dynamic range of your final product. Another tip would be the EQ. I cannot stress enough that the EQ can solve MOST of the "at home shitty studio problems" Once again you want to focus on the high ends and the muddyness 200 hz range. Use this according to what your project sounds it needs. One last thing is just to watch how much compression your using as well becuase this will also kill the range of your frequencies in the final mix and will make your mix sound like its raising and lowering in volume every two seconds (caused by too much compression mixed with too much release)

I hope some of this can help some of you. Like I said if you want to hear what I can make out of this 150$ studio.. check the link below in my signature.. Thanks Have a good session!

Not sure I want to listen to your 'mix track', but how do you figure $150? The Samson mic sells for $119, Ozone 5 for $199. What are you monitoring with? How have you acoustically treated your room?

If you think that applying EQ solves MOST (your word) of home studio problems, you need to do some more learning.

Not sure I want to listen to your 'mix track', but how do you figure $150? The Samson mic sells for $119, Ozone 5 for $199. What are you monitoring with? How have you acoustically treated your room?

If you think that applying EQ solves MOST (your word) of home studio problems, you need to do some more learning.

I didnt pay for the vsts.. and i got the samson used for 80 dollars.. paid 40$ for my comp from some dope fiend which was a brand new comp when I got it, worth 1200 online. But I also didnt pay for my daw... lets call them.. gifts... Im js.. the techniques I descripted here actually do work for the lower end studios and make them sound tot he industry standar.. if u dont believe jsut follow the link............ and yes the EQ for VOCALS solves ALOT of the LOW-END USB MIC MUDDYNESS PROBLEMS!!!!! also when peaking... the EQ can help lower annoying PEAKING frequencies.. where are your references comming from sir? I work hands on with a low end studio every day and get great results.. also I record in my open room.. I paid 20$ for mic stand as well... like I said.. check the link.. thanks for your interesting feedback though

I didnt pay for the vsts.. and i got the samson used for 80 dollars.. paid 40$ for my comp from some dope fiend which was a brand new comp when I got it, worth 1200 online. But I also didnt pay for my daw... lets call them.. gifts... Im js.. the techniques I descripted here actually do work for the lower end studios and make them sound tot he industry standar.. if u dont believe jsut follow the link............ and yes the EQ for VOCALS solves ALOT of the LOW-END USB MIC MUDDYNESS PROBLEMS!!!!! also when peaking... the EQ can help lower annoying PEAKING frequencies.. where are your references comming from sir? I work hands on with a low end studio every day and get great results.. also I record in my open room.. I paid 20$ for mic stand as well... like I said.. check the link.. thanks for your interesting feedback though

You do realize that you are about to confirm my feeling about you now. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM's. I was waiting for this...

You didn't pay for your VST's? DAW?

Thank 'you' for your interesting feedback.

I'll be back to ban you for supporting pirated software in the morning.

You do realize that it is illegal to use cracked software. Your IP address/email, and your music is now public knowledge. You have just admitted to committing a felony on a public forum.

Guess you might learn to type in jail....

Stealing cracked software is bad enough and admitting to it even worse. But, you know what REALLY gets me? If you're going to commit a felony, why not steal better stuff? He's like the guy who broke into the bank and stole rolls of quarters instead of bundles of $50s.

And, software piracy aside, a word to newbies reading the tosh above: there's no one size fits all magic bullet. Yes, a bit of EQ and compression can sometimes help but every mic is different and every studio space is different. Beyond that, if you COULD make a USB mic in a spare room sound like a professional studio, don't you think the studio owners would do it?

Do it the boring way. Spend your money on decent gear and some of the very clever acoustic treatments described in the appropriate sub forum rather than delude yourself that there's some kind of quick and easy solution.

Anybody serving drinks while we watch the banning?

I was going to say my home studio only cost me £60. $150 almost seemed an overspend. Then I remembered about the £400 mic I'm borrowing, and the minor detail that the stuff I record and produce sounds like shit. :D

Even this noob knows it's impossible to get a professional studio sound with sub $150 equipment/software and no acoustic treatment. It's like saying a Fiat Uno drives like a Ferrari. I don't mind a Fiat, but it ain't a Ferrari.

I'll have a Bloody Mary. Actually, better make it a virgin, it's only 9am... :D

I'm actually making some Bloody Marys as we speak...don't be constrained by the time--it's going on 7PM here in Aus and it IS Saturday. Treat it as an alcoholic brunch!

Good home demo does not equal industry quality.

As for the rest of the blurb.....sounds like an advert for Ozone from someone who stole it.

That kind of sucks he got banned because it would of been more funny to see his reply. He didn't say he pirated software. He said "lets call them.. gifts...". Someone he knows could have given it to him because they never figured out how to get good results and gave up on it or maybe his parent bought them for him at Christmas :P

About the "industry quality" LOL. It sounds like every other shit rap demo I've heard. Unless your industry standard is pedaling demo quality recordings on the street corners like a lot of hopeful rap artists do, you are VERY VERY FAR from any "industry quality". I'm not saying it's the worst I've heard, just saying it's light years from being even "professional" sounding in any way. Sometimes people get so caught up in their music that they think it sounds like the shiz nit, when it's actually mediocre at best...

I figure this is just another way to get people to click your link, but let's entertain it for a second.

Your post comes across as being from someone quite far up the ladder.
"Listen up, newcomers....here are some time honoured studio secrets" kinda thing.

If you happen to be just rapping over a beat that someone else made and you bought/borrowed/took/whatever, it might be worth pointing it out.
A more appropriate title in that case would be how to get professional vocal recordings for $150 dollars.
It's still gonna be tight though. ;)

Essentially what you're telling us is how to eq vocals to sit well in a pre studio recorded backing track, which is completely subjective, and different for every voice, room, mix, microphone etc.

NEWBIES: DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THE "ADVICE" OFFERED IN THE OP.

Pirated (or not) software aside, the whole post is rife with BAD advice from someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Plain and simple.

NEWBIES: DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THE "ADVICE" OFFERED IN THE OP.

Pirated (or not) software aside, the whole post is rife with BAD advice from someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Plain and simple.
Seconded! RAMI is absolutely right (as usual).

Over the years, I've accumulated gear and software worth well into five figures (and I don't pirate anything; I own licenses for all my software). One of these is Ozone 5. It's a useful package, but it is not a magic silver bullet. It's simply a tool that helps make better sounding recordings, just as judicious use of EQ and compression will help make better sounding recordings. None of these techniques will result in "industry standard" recordings, just as my spending a lot of money on gear and software doesn't result in "industry standard" recordings, and for a variety of reasons:

1. Even relatively expensive hardware isn't "industry standard," quality. It's good amateur gear, but there is a quality difference between a $300 microphone and a $3,000+ one.

2. There are tools used by the pros (and advanced semi-pros) that, while not effecting audio quality, improve the workflow, resulting in higher quality recordings. For example, a good control surface is going to give better control and a more precise feel than a mouse-on-screen.

3. A professional, trained recording engineer is going to produce better recordings on a good amateur setup than an untrained, amateur will in a professional recording studio. Audio recording is equal parts art and science. "Industry standard" quality production requires both knowledge and experience.

4. I don't think the OP understands the meaning of, "industry standard." It is one thing to say, "I can produce a reasonable demo in my home studio." It is something altogether else to produce a master of the quality that a major label would release as a commercial CD, or that broadcasters will play. With my gear (which is well below the quality of many members of this site, but miles better than what the OP uses) and experience/knowledge level, I can turn out a reasonable demo that works for my particular purposes but no one will ever mistake it for a professionally-produced studio recording.

Saying someone can produce professional studio quality recordings with cheap non-professional gear is like saying I can make a professional feature film with a $150 camcorder and a pirated copy of Adobe Premiere.

You do realize that you are about to confirm my feeling about you now. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM's. I was waiting for this...

You didn't pay for your VST's? DAW?

Thank 'you' for your interesting feedback.

I'll be back to ban you for supporting pirated software in the morning.

You do realize that it is illegal to use cracked software. Your IP address/email, and your music is now public knowledge. You have just admitted to committing a felony on a public forum.

Guess you might learn to type in jail....

how is it pirated? They were bought by friends that let me use the discs?????????? tf???????? all u ppl do is attack anything I say... fuck it ban me then

Back