150$ Home studio with industry quality

Not bothering to enter the discussion if he is/is not using pirated software or not, if he knows anything about the recording industry or not, I will only comment on him being able to record a professional sound with a USB mic and a total spending of $150.

I have been in the professional industry for more than 40 years and have a setup worth well over $200k (including some mics worth about $7k each, a 96 chnl fully automated console, etc) and added to that a studio and control room that has been acoustically treated and tuned to the limit and have recorded and/or produced records that have been top sellers, yet I still say that I have recorded duds and am still learning on a daily basis.

How he claims to be such an expert and produce such excellent sound I do not know.

...and I've heard damned good sounding recordings from guys who HAVE legitimately only spent a couple hundred bucks. Really, his biggest issue was the presupposition that money = pro sound.

I just hope some poor Grandma hasn't lost the only pictures of her babies, cuz some guy wanted to give a dope setup to his fiend.

The thought of that makes me want to find a way to introduce actual viruses into humans that steal shit....Argh, that is what pisses me off the most!

Taking my own chill pill now....sigh...

...and I've heard damned good sounding recordings from guys who HAVE legitimately only spent a couple hundred bucks. Really, his biggest issue was the presupposition that money = pro sound.

Well, a couple of hundred bucks is pushing it. Say $100 for a mic and $100 for a cheap interface but then you still need a DAW (Reaper at $60) and things like a mic cable (say $15) mic stand (say $30 for anything worth having, preferably more), pop filter (say $15). This assumes you have a suitable computer and a decent set of headphones to start with. You might just make that $200 figure if you get lucky on the second hand market.

However, like you I believe you can achieve good results with less than pro gear. However, I'd say the biggest part of getting good results is down to technique--how you place the mic to cope with room effects and so on. As soon as you think you have a magic bullet involving EQ and Compression, the bullshitometer moves into clipping. There's just no such thing. Artificial processing can't fix a bad original recording--and, even if it could, it would be different for every different track, not something where you can post a one size suits all set of instructions.

I just hope some poor Grandma hasn't lost the only pictures of her babies, cuz some guy wanted to give a dope setup to his fiend.

The thought of that makes me want to find a way to introduce actual viruses into humans that steal shit....Argh, that is what pisses me off the most!

Taking my own chill pill now....sigh...

Exactly.

Even without getting into Grandma's pictures, HR members should think how they'd feel if that dope fiend had stolen their DAW computer with all their best tracks on it. Buying stolen stuff is not cool.

I like the idea of unleashing actual viruses onto people that steal stuff, particularly gear, and of the flesh-eating-virus-from -outer space kind of thing. Nano-bots activated via GPS by owner once realizes some 'dope fiend' has sticky fingers that eat what's left of their cracked brains.

Then again, they have to get past my very protective large dog with sharp teeth then deal with my military training when that tirade awakens me!

Back