100 Hz high pass cut

djclueveli

I normally cut everything under 100 Hz in vocals when i'm mixing. i read that it's good to do that so it wouldn't get in the way of any low end sounds (bass, drums, ect.) does anyone else use this strategy also or do u deal with that frequency in a different approach. thanks for any helpful feedback!

I hi-cut many sounds that don't belong in the bass and low-mids. However, instead of specifying a frequency, I take an HPF and sweep it up until it starts affecting the sound, then back it off... although sometimes I'll go higher and take more of it out if it's not needed in the mix, things such as hi-hats and cymbals are perfect candidates for example.

djclueveli said:
I normally cut everything under 100 Hz in vocals when i'm mixing. i read that it's good to do that so it wouldn't get in the way of any low end sounds (bass, drums, ect.) does anyone else use this strategy also or do u deal with that frequency in a different approach. thanks for any helpful feedback!

There is more talk of this over on the "software versus hardware mixing" post. It was about 3/4 of the way through when i last read it.

Back