Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Some stuff for you to practice your mixing

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by foobalicious View Post
    One more question: do you guys mix with headphones? I noticed that since I switched to monitor speakers mixing became much easier. Especially when mixing bass/low end
    Since I have my room treated now, I do my mixing with speakers, and check on headphones later. I might do a little tweak on a mix with just the phones, e.g., to automate some volume on a track that I notice later on, but I've found that making big EQ or mix level changes is a big mistake. Using speakers first and primarily saves me a lot of time.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I've had a go at a mix. I had limited time and there are some further adjustments I would make, but this is the sort of sound I would have in mind.

https://trouble mix

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    I've had a go at a mix. I had limited time and there are some further adjustments I would make, but this is the sort of sound I would have in mind.

Thanks for your mix !

I really like it. Well balanced in my opinion. Only the backing vocal sounds too upfront in my opinion. Too loud compared to the lead vocal.This is more noticeable in the first chorus than in later on.

But again. Nice mix ! Thanks !

Cheers,

Roel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

The keys effect is a little bit of Leslie on slow speed, maybe a little weight to the top speaker.

As a guitar player (but about 50 years ago trumpet player in a couple soul bands), I wrestled with the guitar track(s). It does work well with the sax but it seemed like the timing was just so slightly off that when I brought it up I was afraid I was going to have to get into some timing tinkering to make me happy. I could have just been lazy though and didn't spend enough time there. I will give it another listen along with the sax and see if a little volume slider automation can make those balance more like you expected.

I saw you posted another song - I hope to have time next week (visitors coming this weekend and a trip to Austin early in the week, plus some recording tentatively the latter part of the week). This stuff is way outside of my 1-2 piece acoustic "bailiwick" so a great stretch. Thanks again.
    I think I understand what you mean with guitar timing. The guitar player in the band back then had a natural tendency to play very laid back, whereas the drummer tended to play very in front of the beat. For me (as the sax player), I struggled with both.

Today I again play with the same drummer and a different guitar player. This is a better match, timing wise. Also, the drummer's playing improved quite a lot over the years. (And my playing as well, I hope :-) ).
    We also have a trumpet player and he and I lock very well, even though our natural timing is not exactly the same, we played so much together that we can ' feel' each others timing and adjust for that on the fly. This works (most of the time :-) )....

Do you have some examples of your 1-2 piece recordings?

Thanks

Nice!

Thanks
    Do you have some examples of your 1-2 piece recordings?
    There's a couple recent things I've done at home - actually 4 folks tracking singly, and a couple live open mic tracks of me on the SoundCloud link in my profile (also a lot of backing track noodling noise - ignore that ). Most of what I do is recordings at open mics for the performers there, and I haven't made up a "portfolio" of that stuff yet because I'm still learning!

Thanks
    Only the backing vocal sounds too upfront in my opinion.
    Agree. It was one of those 'further adjustments' I referred to. I ran out of time when I noticed it.

Thanks
    Hi, I took the challenge! This sort of stuff is way out of my comfort zone. I am a complete DIY amateur who has mixed hardcore punk bands - which usually means raw, no-frills, in-your-face sort of basic "bluff-my-way-through" mixing stuff. So I took this as a fun challenge. I would very much appreciate constructive criticism? Seriously, the harsher the better! If you can't be arsed, that's cool too! I tend to prefer dry, bright mixes. Although I put some delay on the vocs. I did like her voice, she's very good. Thanks for the practice tracks!

Trouble

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mxw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mxw View Post
    Hi, I took the challenge! This sort of stuff is way out of my comfort zone. I am a complete DIY amateur who has mixed hardcore punk bands - which usually means raw, no-frills, in-your-face sort of basic "bluff-my-way-through" mixing stuff. So I took this as a fun challenge. I would very much appreciate constructive criticism? Seriously, the harsher the better! If you can't be arsed, that's cool too! I tend to prefer dry, bright mixes. Although I put some delay on the vocs. I did like her voice, she's very good. Thanks for the practice tracks!

Trouble
    My impression: I listened through headphones, which will give me a strange perspective. However, my two observations were that the delay was too much, and tended to garble the vocals, and the bass was a bit too prominent for my taste. Otherwise I thought it was fine.

Thanks
    My impression: I listened through headphones, which will give me a strange perspective. However, my two observations were that the delay was too much, and tended to garble the vocals, and the bass was a bit too prominent for my taste. Otherwise I thought it was fine.
    Thanks, gecko zzed!! Thanks for having a listen! I think you may be right, I could tone those 2 things down a notch or 3 maybe... That's most probs my subjective "punk" ears distorting my objective mixing/hearing ha ha. That's why I did this, to hear some feedback like yours. Thanks!

I like the "immediacy" of a dry, bright mix with lots of "presence". I hardly ever use reverb on instruments. Each to their own, of course. Yeah, it was a fun little project!

Thread Information