R&B Song needs Mastering!

Hey man, I'll take a look at this, but it seems like you have only ever posted on this forum to have other people lend their time and energy to help you. Please consider commenting on other people's mixes and getting involved in the discussions. This is a great community, and everybody helps each other.

So this is a great cover. Well recorded, with the slight exception of some excessive lip/mouth noise before the start of some lines that was brought out by the inevitable mastering compression. But here's my 30 min master, in headphones only (too late in my house to monitor out loud).

This is not a genre of music I usually deal with, so it was interesting to figure out a mastering approach. This was my first thought. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Marvin's Room master v1- JeanPMusic [Half Enigma Productions].mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 39
Hey and thanks for answering. I've been very busy with my studies and other hobby, but yeah sure I will try to get some time to post more on this forum. I'm also still very new with this mixing stuff, so I've been using the little time that I have had to just read and trying to learn from it rather than trying to share my thoughts and advice, but I sure will do that also if I have something helpful to say! :) Also this isn't just for my benefit but others can also practise their mixing or mastering with these songs and share it to others.

Nice mastering! I liked it. :thumbs up:

-JeanPMusic

Thanks man, is it okay if I use it in my Engineering Portfolio with credit and link to your SoundCloud page? Appreciate it.

This was really well recorded by the way, I don't usually do RnB but thought I'd give it a go.

I mastered this track using the following plug-ins in this order using Wavelab 8:

Maag EQ4 (for a 40kHz air boost) and some low end control, this made the biggest difference to getting the balance right,
Elysia mastercomp for some transparent parallel compression,
Soundtoys Crystalizer for the intro and breakdown parts rendered in place, adding some width and subtle character,
Voxengo Elephant Limiter with 1-2dB boost, -1dBFS on the output,
Soundtoys Decapitator on VERY subtle settings mostly to add a subtle tape like compression, more like a 'glue'

let me know what you think! I enjoyed doing this one.

here you go: View attachment 91238

Ben.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ben!
Nice to hear what you did there. Sounds nice!

I will maybe post some longer thoughts later about some of these if you guys want...

Anyone else might want to have a go at this?!

Mastered by Garrett Watson - Elite Entertainment

https://soundcloud.com/eliteentertainmentmn/marvins-room-mastered-jeanpmusic-drake-cover

JeanPMusic...its a great song, the toms seemed a bit loud, other than that nice job mixing it!

I used the following plug-insin this order: Waves: SSL E Channel, SSL Compressor; TDR: Slick EQ, Slate Digital FG Compressor; Waves: GEQ Modern; Izotope Ozone 6 Aural Exciter; Waves L2 Limiter, S1 Imager, Dorrough Meter; Meter Plugs: K-Meter. Plus my years of experience! (If you would like the volume level brought up that is not an issue)

www.fb.com/eliteentmn
eliteentmn@gmail.com

here you go. 15 min master by DrTeChNo

if you want the wave, pm me.

btw I didn't use any plugins listed above, they steal air.

Attachments

• Marvins Room mix.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 5
try this one. I didn't hit my outboard as hard, but you'll most like this one.
also If the distortion on the bass bleed is too much for your liking, I would recommend going down -6db on the kick channel in the mix. it might sound a little thin on your monitors, but it doesn't take that much. you might want to readjust you sub (turn it up) or get a sub too.

Attachments

• Marvins Room mix base master.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 3
Back