QUICK mixes of TELEFUNKEN "Live from the Labs" Stems

br3ttski

Accept the challenge if you dare!
What can be done in an afternoon is the aim of this thread.

Google for: telefunken live-from-the-lab-season-4
(Needs email for registration)

When you post INCLUDE THE ARTIST AND TRACK NAME
Try to keep it within the stock plugins of your DAW, or say what you used

I'll go first with this nice acoustic / looped effect thing that these good people did;

==============================
Art: Megan Slankard & Alex Wong
Trk: There Are No Shadows In L.A.
Mixed: br3ttski
DAW: FL Studio (stock plugins + Valhalla Delay)
Time: 4 hrs
==============================

DM me for the FL project, happy to share, but can't upload after submitting the post apparently

Copy and Paste this into your post:

=====================
Art:
Trk:
Mixed:
DAW:
Time:
All audio files have been engineered and recorded by TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik and are presented for educational and demonstrational purposes only.
=====================

Attachments

• No Shadows in LA_2.mp3
    7.3 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
One Time Weekend

OK I'll go again... maybe this can just be a thread of my exploits :0P

Another one that I enjoyed, great band. Hit me up for the FLP if you want

=====================
Art: One Time Weekend
Trk: One Time Weekend (whoa oh oh ohh yeah)
Mixed: br3ttski on Yammy AG03 and Mackie HR824 v2
DAW: FL Studio 100% ITB Stock Plugins (Producer)
Time: 4-5 hrs I think
All audio files have been engineered and recorded by TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik and are presented for educational and demonstrational purposes only.
=====================

View attachment One Time Weekend_2.mp3

One Time Weekend_2.mp3 - Google Drive

All tracks normalised first.
All vocal mics cleaned up with volume automation (tedious but worth it) basically a look-ahead gate.

I'm usually intimidated by mixing drums but just took it slowly and figured out a method (start with overheads)

Overheads: pulled < 350Hz 6dB down with low shelf and pushed > 4.5kHz 8dB up with high shelf
These mics inform level and panning of the rest of the kit, they're mixed at -9dB into the drum submix
Room mic is fed into drum submix at -11dB as well. I found the track's life was in this mic.

Kick: Inside mic only - Peaking EQ at 6kHz to pull up the beater, then gated to isolate it a bit, expanded to about double original then parallel compressed (Maximus NY compression preset)
Didn't use the outside mic at all

Hats: pulled < 4.5kHz down 6dB with low shelf, unity gain into submix

Snares: no processing but the side sounded better to me when phase reversed all -4dB into submix and panned appropriately
Toms: just rolled off a little < 200Hz, unity gain into submix
Bass: Low end comes from DI bandpassed 40 - 180Hz and parallel compressed, slight distortion added to high passed amp signal, mixed to taste

Guitars: pulled down low end to make space for bass and kick, and -4dB above 3k to let the cymbals and vocals shine through
Lead Guitar is stereo spread with FL Studio Stereo Shaper - Stereoize 3 preset

Vocals: -12dB shelf below 300Hz, +6dB shelf above 3.5kHz, parallel compressed moderately, less than backing vox. Pitcher (autotune) into 8th note bandpass delay into nearly mono reverb.
Backing Vox: same as Vox but +12dB shelf above 3.5kHz and parallel compressed (Maximus NY preset)

Levelled to -15 LUFS integrated with Youlean

No volume automation, they're a well balanced band already. Probably could have found something to automate but happy with its live vibe.

Last edited:
Back