New song Love bites (discontinued)

Hi.
Best mix so far, at least on my super sensitive sub frequency home stereo. Have not taken your mix on a usb stick for my car yet, but you deffently on the right path.

Thanks
-einar-

Did you ever give this a listen on something else? It sounds ok to me on my heaphones, car, and a pair of grotto speakers. I ran it through a cheaper commercial truck stereo, and the highs of the guitars were way way way to hot. Although i'm not getting that on my car stereo which is pretty decent.

Awesome my first attempt is here : Dropbox - Love bites.wav

I will go more into the vocals later today

Hi.

Thank you for taking the time mix my song. Here are my pointers on your mix.

- There are some pich problems here and there on the main voice. I suspect you have used some pitch program and it has translated it wrong some places.
- The drums are almost totally buried, except the kick who is way to dominant and contains to much low end, in my ears.
- I cant hear the sologuitar in the into...producers choice...?

cheers
-einar-

Hi, actually if you can reupload the tracks before effects(AMP sims, delays, reverbs etc), basically all the raw DI's, that will give us more control over the mix.
I know I personally prefer it that way.
I don't think that at my current basic skill level I can do better than my previous MIX, but I want to give it another go with the DI tracks if you can upload theme of course.

Cheers...

HI.

All the tracks are without reverb, EQ, delay and such on it, except the rhythm guitar (and late sologuitar) witch was recorded with external amp sim (V-amp 2) so i cant bounce them raw. But in case i do re-record them dry, du you have some good amp simulators..?

-einar-

HI.

All the tracks are without reverb, EQ, delay and such on it, except the rhythm guitar (and late sologuitar) witch was recorded with external amp sim (V-amp 2) so i cant bounce them raw. But in case i do re-record them dry, du you have some good amp simulators..?

-einar-

If you will be able to do that it'll be great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stereo guitar tracks aren't really doubled, sound like some delays and mb some editing of the original tracks to get the "effect of doubling"? If you are going to rerecord can you double the guitars also?
Regarding the sims I do have a few nice once yes... mostly I like the ones in my Antelope Audio Goliat Interface
en.antelopeaudio.com/hardware-based-fpga-effects/the-guitar-classics/

Have a good one ;)

It's a pretty good mix as is. Obviously, you know what you want to try to make better. In the end, other mixes will give you feedback, but you will say try this or i'm looking for this sound. That's all good . After it's all said and done , your ears will be the final result. You have a good mix, never rely on some one to do what you know is best for the song. It can be expensive, but there are so many plugins that can fix it in the mix. I say record it right and go with what you've got. As far as the room issues( which probably affect the sound) , build a few bass traps, inexpensive, place them at reflection points, and rock on. There are very good panning vst's that will give you a more wide field. Always good to hear good songs on this site. well done ,mate.

Mix and Song sound real good nice job. Only thing I hear is as usual artists who do their own mixes tend to make their lead vocal too low. It has a nice lead vocal and its a Pop song, so I'll take a stab if I can.

OK I think I Uploaded the right mix it should say Pete's Love Bites III Mp3

Attachments

• Petes Love Bites Mp3 III.mp3
    7.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It's a pretty good mix as is. Obviously, you know what you want to try to make better. In the end, other mixes will give you feedback, but you will say try this or i'm looking for this sound. That's all good . After it's all said and done , your ears will be the final result. You have a good mix, never rely on some one to do what you know is best for the song. It can be expensive, but there are so many plugins that can fix it in the mix. I say record it right and go with what you've got. As far as the room issues( which probably affect the sound) , build a few bass traps, inexpensive, place them at reflection points, and rock on. There are very good panning vst's that will give you a more wide field. Always good to hear good songs on this site. well done ,mate.

Hi.

Your quite right and i have done some room treatment with aurel basstraps and panels on wall and ceiling, but as my "home studio" is in the end of an L shaped livingroom with concrete walls,ceiling and floor all around me, its pretty impossible to get any good result without extensive pro treatment. Dont have the place for big traps either.
But thanks for the feedback.

best
-einar-

OK I think I Uploaded the right mix it should say Pete's Love Bites III Mp3

Hi.
Thanks for the mix. It sounds pretty ok on my 2.1 system at work, maybe just some odd echo on the main voice. Its all about taste, but to me it sounds a bit like a fault. It also sounds like there some early reflection with the reverb. Kind of in a chamber...?

And as everybody else, it sounds like you also having difficult "taming" the bass/kick. I know its kind of hopeless with that bass track.

Did u take away the sologuitar at the intro..?

I will take the mix out on a stick and listen to it in my car in a couple of days. i will get back to you with a review on that.

best
-einar-

No reflection on the reverb only an echo tailing out the long notes as an effect in two spots. Its not a perfect mix. I think its hard to tame that bass track because you have 4 guitars and the bass pumping 1/8 notes at the same time with kick and snare in there too. So its very crowded between 100-400hz lots of masking going on. I agree solid 1/8 note bass track really needs to be consistent. There is also a problem known as "one note bass" where the bass disappears then comes back too loud. Waves makes a plugin called Bass Rider that works great in helping tame that problem. My license for it expired Sorry.

No reflection on the reverb only an echo tailing out the long notes as an effect in two spots. Its not a perfect mix. I think its hard to tame that bass track because you have 4 guitars and the bass pumping 1/8 notes at the same time with kick and snare in there too. So its very crowded between 100-400hz lots of masking going on. I agree solid 1/8 note bass track really needs to be consistent. There is also a problem known as "one note bass" where the bass disappears then comes back too loud. Waves makes a plugin called Bass Rider that works great in helping tame that problem. My license for it expired Sorry.

Hi.

I am definitive gonna check out your tip on Waves Bass Rider. Iv always been a bit disappointed in the diff compressors/gate/limiters regarding bass.
Maybe this will do the trick. Anybody else got any experience with this plug-ins..?

-einar-

Hi.

I am definitive gonna check out your tip on Waves Bass Rider. Iv always been a bit disappointed in the diff compressors/gate/limiters regarding bass.
Maybe this will do the trick. Anybody else got any experience with this plug-ins..?-einar-

Yes. I have it. I didn’t use it on this song though. It is a good plugin and does work well on keeping bass under control.

First i start with apologize beacuase i started by the build up thats (the main thing and for the sake of time) If you want the complete version i can do that later. I hope u will enjoy and afcourse let me know what you think..

Dropbox - LoveBites.wav

First i start with apologize beacuase i started by the build up thats (the main thing and for the sake of time) If you want the complete version i can do that later. I hope u will enjoy and afcourse let me know what you think..

Dropbox - LoveBites.wav

Hi.
Thanks

The voice is really nice except around 1.35 where there are some pitch oddness. As everybody else, there are some low freq problem with the bass/kick.
Looking forward to next version.

best
-eianr-

Last edited:

Dropbox - LoveBites.wav

Hi.

Its a really really nice mix on the voice. Can u share with us what u did with it...? what plug-ins, setting etc.....

Thanks
-einar-

Hi

I must first thank everybody for there effort. It has been an overwhelming nice response. I have now completely lost track of versions and who`s who and I have also decided to do some remixing myself and maybe lay down some new tracks on the song.
I will of course listen to every new mix, but i dont have the time to follow up with reviews. Maybe we all can comment each others mixes..? I think that`s a good idea mostly because different ears and different environments can hear different things. I certainly dosent trust my ears and listening environment. If a really rally good mix comes along I will pm you.
Hope i dosent offend anybody and feel free to mix, produce,add stuff or go crazy with the stems. Keep shearing thou.

A last tip to all the mixers; bounce the mix to 16 bit versions. Not all car stereo`s can handle 24 bit version ;-)

Best regards
-einar-

Last edited:
Back