New song Love bites (discontinued)

Hello guys, I'm new here. I figured I'll go back to mixing a bit(it's been a while). So I though I'll clean the dust of the old gear and give it a try. So here it is...

I cant post links yet so just copy the link manually, Sorry.
drive.google.com/file/d/1EPktaZ8-nBl-WQywJ3KRHNC-m-AJRoPY/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to bash away ;)
Worth mentioning that I haven't worked in the opening solo and the back vocals yet, no automation as well.
Please let me know you thought, the good the bad and the ugly!

Cheers from Prague!

Hi. I think your on the right path. The bass is somewhat buried. I would like to hear the next version.

Thanks.
-einar-

I was a live sound guy who dabble a little in recording many years ago. These days I mostly repair and modify guitar amps, effects, and some pro audio gear. I have been doing some live sound again, along with some system design and tuning. I wanted to practice some mixing and remembered this site, and found this post and decided it would be a good one to do. Anyway here is my mix. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, John Love Bites by JSROCKSU | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hi.
I tough hey, here someone who has added something in the intro, but after a while...nææ :-) .... It probably just a fault that the synth choir is added in the beginning ?
And I hear that u have the same problem as i; no control of the bass. Its rally pumping as is. It also sounds like theres a lot of low cut on the drums, in general.
Anyway, Thanks for the effort.

Cheers
-einar-

Hi.
I tough hey, here someone who has added something in the intro, but after a while...nææ :-) .... It probably just a fault that the synth choir is added in the beginning ?
And I hear that u have the same problem as i; no control of the bass. Its rally pumping as is. It also sounds like theres a lot of low cut on the drums, in general.
Anyway, Thanks for the effort.

Cheers
-einar-

I would guess that you probably really need to check your room. That may be the problems you're having. Smaart live it, or at least trueRTA and a decent measurement mic.

Reference this and see if it seems thin or toms seem boomy. Aja by Steely Dan in 1080p HD on Vimeo

Last edited:
I would guess that you probably really need to check your room. That may be the problems you're having. Smaart live it, or at least trueRTA and a decent measurement mic.

Reference this and see if it seems thin or toms seem boomy. Aja by Steely Dan in 1080p HD on Vimeo

Hi.
I don't know exactly what u mean. Yes my home stereo is very cruel to somewhat bad mixes but all commercial songs sounds just fine. I know from own experience that it get boomey quite easily. Listen to it again in my office with 2.1 system and the bass is still boomy and the drums sounds a bit thin. But, hey, I could be wrong as Im only answering to what I hear. I could be dead wrong :-) I did listen to the song you referred to, and it sounds all right on all my systems.
Did u hear the misplaced synth choir in the beginning...?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's effort in trying to mix this. If I came across anything else than that, Im sorry.

-einar-

Placed on purpose to add a little in that section. ( I felt the long into part needed more flavor) You didn't notice the synth at the end. I brought that up and delayed to fade with the rest. I thought it tied well back to the intro. I think it will be hard to get what your looking for without re-tracking the bass, and maybe using a subkick or such on the kick. Although I think some more 50-ish hz could be gotten out of what you have, but the bass only seems to have sounds that live in the sub and low, so. I think it currently commands this spot. Lending to the boomy bass, and the drums being thinner so they have a spot they can sit in. It will be very hard to get the bass to have any punch/ snap, because it does not exist in the recording. So I think you could get close to what you're looking for if you re-track the bass to sit in a different spot. I still need some treatment in my room also. :). and if I didn't mention before I like the tune.

-John

Placed on purpose to add a little in that section. ( I felt the long into part needed more flavor) You didn't notice the synth at the end. I brought that up and delayed to fade with the rest. I thought it tied well back to the intro. I think it will be hard to get what your looking for without re-tracking the bass, and maybe using a subkick or such on the kick. Although I think some more 50-ish hz could be gotten out of what you have, but the bass only seems to have sounds that live in the sub and low, so. I think it currently commands this spot. Lending to the boomy bass, and the drums being thinner so they have a spot they can sit in. It will be very hard to get the bass to have any punch/ snap, because it does not exist in the recording. So I think you could get close to what you're looking for if you re-track the bass to sit in a different spot. I still need some treatment in my room also. :). and if I didn't mention before I like the tune.

-John

Hi.

Your spot on ! Its a mix of live and ample bass P light II, and it did not had any palm or otherwise to modify the sound.

Tthanks
-einar-

So here is take 2:

drive.google.com/file/d/1etYtmNzxCwkXydwt8t-iW2iPTrcb4uMG/view?usp=sharing

This one was mixed on new monitors so it probably needs some adjustments and I will really appreciate the feed back.
I had lots of fun mixing again,
Hope its not to bad :)
Enjoy...

Last edited:
So here is take 2:

This one was mixed on new monitors so it probably needs some adjustments and I will really appreciate the feed back.
Enjoy...

That sounds good on headphones.

It's hard for me to mix on headphones. My set up is under construction, I've been doing these with headphones, computer speakers, and listening in the car. Hopefully this week I'll get everything finished up , and get the monitors back up.

Here is my latest effort.Dropbox - Love Bites Ozone.wav

So here is take 2:

Enjoy...

Hi.
This was a much better mix. There are still some small bass pumping here and there, but i understand that the bass track was really bad and its hard to get a good sound from a bad track.

Thanks
-einar-

It's hard for me to mix on headphones. My set up is under construction, I've been doing these with headphones, computer speakers, and listening in the car. Hopefully this week I'll get everything finished up , and get the monitors back up.

Here is my latest effort.Dropbox - Love Bites Ozone.wav

Hi.
Best mix so far, at least on my super sensitive sub frequency home stereo. Have not taken your mix on a usb stick for my car yet, but you deffently on the right path.

Thanks
-einar-

Hi,

I've been pretty busy so i couldn't answer before.

Thankx for the feedback!

Yes, the lead vocals were totally dry before the band comes in (after were not dry at all).
The idea was: first, create a bigger impact when the band enters and second, reflect the "mismatch of feelings between the past and the present" using the dry vocals and the ear-candy of the delayed guitar.
But hey, if the client doesn't like it, we change it...

Yes, there was an issue with the f's and s's. It wasn't lack of de-essing (had a couple of instances applied) but pre-fader volume automation to compensate the several stages of compression.

Regarding the low end, i could differentiate the kick and the bass throu the entire song.
Probably you are right, i can't mix on monitors so i use earbuds. Obviously that's a problem.

I let you another take.
Hope you like it more than the first.

Dropbox: Dropbox - loveBitesV3.wav

Hi,

I've been pretty busy so i couldn't answer before.

Thankx for the feedback!

Yes, the lead vocals were totally dry before the band comes in (after were not dry at all).
The idea was: first, create a bigger impact when the band enters and second, reflect the "mismatch of feelings between the past and the present" using the dry vocals and the ear-candy of the delayed guitar.
But hey, if the client doesn't like it, we change it...

Yes, there was an issue with the f's and s's. It wasn't lack of de-essing (had a couple of instances applied) but pre-fader volume automation to compensate the several stages of compression.

Regarding the low end, i could differentiate the kick and the bass throu the entire song.
Probably you are right, i can't mix on monitors so i use earbuds. Obviously that's a problem.

I let you another take.
Hope you like it more than the first.

Dropbox: Dropbox - loveBitesV3.wav

Hi.
Its a very good mix. Om my home stereo (who is super critical to bad low ends mix) ist just fine. Well balanced.(but that could also mean to low on other system, lol ..its a never ending battle) I also have to apologies to everybody as i realize that my solo intro guitar track has been bounced all clean. In my mix Iv used Bias Amp 2 on it.
I dont know exactly what it is with the main voice, but it sounds like there are a bit to much compression or gate..?

Iv also done some re-mixing of my own on the song, and there i adjust the volume on the synths a bit lower here and there.

all inn all, a good mix.
Thanks

-einar-

Hi.
Its a very good mix. Om my home stereo (who is super critical to bad low ends mix) ist just fine. Well balanced.(but that could also mean to low on other system, lol ..its a never ending battle) I also have to apologies to everybody as i realize that my solo intro guitar track has been bounced all clean. In my mix Iv used Bias Amp 2 on it.
I dont know exactly what it is with the main voice, but it sounds like there are a bit to much compression or gate..?

Iv also done some re-mixing of my own on the song, and there i adjust the volume on the synths a bit lower here and there.

all inn all, a good mix.
Thanks

-einar-

Hi, actually if you can reupload the tracks before effects(AMP sims, delays, reverbs etc), basically all the raw DI's, that will give us more control over the mix.
I know I personally prefer it that way.
I don't think that at my current basic skill level I can do better than my previous MIX, but I want to give it another go with the DI tracks if you can upload theme of course.

Cheers...

Back