New song Love bites (discontinued)

seeking

Hi.

Here I have a new song I`v been working on for some time, and it would be cool to hear if someone would like to mix/master this better then mine. As my "studio" is all concrete walls/sealing and hardwood floor its hopeless. Dont have the skill either.

Heres my mix: Box

And heres all the raw tracks: Box

Cheers

-einar-
Kristiansand, Norway

Last edited:
Hi,

A total newbie here.

First of all, nice song!!!

I let you my take on this.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Hernan

Hi,

A total newbie here.

First of all, nice song!!!

I let you my take on this.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Hernan

Hi.
Thanks for giving this a try. I think the voice is a bit dry. At the into, because the voice is so dry, you expect a close, almost unplugged mix when the "band" sets in. But then the into solo guitar and the rest sets inn with what I suspect is delay and reverb and it kind of missmatch. Also, i think u have the same problem as me, defining space for the kick and bass and at some degree the guitars. Like my mixes, I can never get the hang of mixing those two and it almost always get messed up to a undefined low end. But then again it could also be that my ears dont know how and what to listen for when mixing. Would be interesting to see if others hear the same.
Theres also something with the s`s and f`s in the voice, that could benefit with a de-esser..?

Again, thanks.
-einar-

Cool, man. Ps: try rising the sologuitar a tad in the intro and lower the synths when the drums and guitars kick in so that it get`s less dominant...

-einar-
Got it I'll work that in .. I'll probably pan the toms in just a bit. This mix is LCR right now. I still have a bit of level riding to do. I'll see about sprinkling in a few cool effects in a couple of spots. I don't really know what this mix sounds like other than on my headphones ( I'm lazy right now, Didn't check it on any other speakers lol) . My studio is down right now, getting room treatment in tomorrow, and the new monitor set up this weekend. I have a recording session over in Kansas City, Mo. Sunday. So It'll be Monday sometime before I get a chance to get back to this.

Last edited:
Did another quick mix, not sure if I like it or not. Let me know if you like the bass pushing out more like the first one, or a bit more in the mix. I can also change the 1/4 note delays on the solos. Dropbox - Love Bites MS_1.wav

Hi.

I dont think the 1/4 delay work, and try lowering the volume a bit on it. Also i think there is to much reverb on the sologuitar later in the song.
I think there`s to much off a volume different when "intro" ends and the drums start. I had to quickly reduce the volume after turning it up during intro. Make sense...?

Ps: the bass sounds a bit out of control, but that could just be my home stereo. I dont trust it. I will listen to it in my car.

Thanks
-einar-

Oh the jump is what I liked. I used Green Day’s. Bang Bang song for a reference track. It’s about the same as that. There’s not a lot of reverb on the 2nd solo, it’s the same 1/4 note delays as the first solo, just adjusted differently. I’ll back it down a notch, Bass sounds fine to me on multiple stereos

I’ll dial the low end back, although I think it’s pushed up due to me letting ozone’s master assistant set the final eq. I was tired and wasn’t thinking, I remember the eq had quite a slope upwards from 100hz on down. I’ll fix that, it should take care of the low end. I’ll pull the first solo back a bit ( although I like it out front myself it’s a nice sounding clean guitar solo). I’ll bring the delay back for the 2nd solo. I liked it too though, the ping pong delay was cool sounding when the guitar was hitting the accents.

The two reference tracks used were Green Day’s - Bang Bang, and AlterBridge’s - Rise Today. I love the energy and drive of Bang Bang with the slap your head volume jump, and the punch and low end of the AlterBridge Blackbird album. You should be able to check the low end against these reference tracks, or others. I’ll tweak a few things but I don’t think it’s bad for a headphone mix, and a few hrs time.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I'm new here. I figured I'll go back to mixing a bit(it's been a while). So I though I'll clean the dust of the old gear and give it a try. So here it is...

I cant post links yet so just copy the link manually, Sorry.
drive.google.com/file/d/1EPktaZ8-nBl-WQywJ3KRHNC-m-AJRoPY/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to bash away ;)
Worth mentioning that I haven't worked in the opening solo and the back vocals yet, no automation as well.
Please let me know you thought, the good the bad and the ugly!

Cheers from Prague!

Decreased the volume jump, did away with the ping pong, lowered the volume on the intro solo, lowered the low end slightly, and cleaned up some low end just a bit. I worked on the harshness in the cymbals some more. Hopefully this is a bit better. Dropbox - Love Bites MS_2.wav

Hello guys, I'm new here. I figured I'll go back to mixing a bit(it's been a while). So I though I'll clean the dust of the old gear and give it a try. So here it is...

I cant post links yet so just copy the link manually, Sorry.
drive.google.com/file/d/1EPktaZ8-nBl-WQywJ3KRHNC-m-AJRoPY/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to bash away ;)
Worth mentioning that I haven't worked in the opening solo and the back vocals yet, no automation as well.
Please let me know you thought, the good the bad and the ugly!

Cheers from Prague!

A lot of over driven signals. I can't tell what all it's on, but sounds like guits, and maybe some snare and possible bass that sound like clipping distortion.

Haven't done any mixing to speak of but as a listener, one thing I liked on seeking's original mix is noticeable reverb on the intro vocals. It helped to round off some clipping or distortion I hear on basically all of the other mixes.

I was a live sound guy who dabble a little in recording many years ago. These days I mostly repair and modify guitar amps, effects, and some pro audio gear. I have been doing some live sound again, along with some system design and tuning. I wanted to practice some mixing and remembered this site, and found this post and decided it would be a good one to do. Anyway here is my mix. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, John Love Bites by JSROCKSU | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back