Thread: Mix/Master help

Thanks

Mix/Master help

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey Guys,

I've posted once or twice before with similar issues - I am an aspiring rapper, but the mixing and mastering is much too tedious for me, I think I have a tin ear, I cannot seem to hear subtle differences, yet I know what I like when I hear it. I've just posted my latest track on this thread...I think it sounds decent but I know it needs better mixing/mastering. The lyrics don't stand out from the beat very well.

I'm either looking for tips, or straight up help. This is the last mix I received from the instrumental's producer, but he is more EDM, and doesn't do a lot of hip-hop mixing. Any help, or suggestions would be awesome!

Also...opinion on the music itself...always appreciated.

Thanks guys,

- D

Edit: I have the separate vocals and instrumental tracks if anyone really wants to try their hand at it...even willing to pay if it changes my life, haha.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I like this. For me, the "tweeting" synth is stepping on your vocal. I would drop it out and listen to the mix without it for awhile, until something jumped into my head.

It's not the synth voice itself that's the problem, it's the frequencies that are competing with your vocal - that's how I hear it. Maybe also try bumping it up an octave (and lowering it in the mix) or changing it's voice.. or both.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    I like this. For me, the "tweeting" synth is stepping on your vocal. I would drop it out and listen to the mix without it for awhile, until something jumped into my head.

It's not the synth voice itself that's the problem, it's the frequencies that are competing with your vocal - that's how I hear it. Maybe also try bumping it up an octave (and lowering it in the mix) or changing it's voice.. or both.
    Spantini - Thanks a lot my man, I'll listen back to it and send this over to the producer. Hopefully he'll give me the stems so I can tweak the instrumental. I appreciate you.

- D

Thanks
    @Slump D - - I'd like to hear the next level or final version when you get it
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    You might have more luck posting in the Mp3 Mixing Clinic. This sub is more for posting raw tracks to let others mix the files.

Not too bad. The vocals are the most obvious issue - they don't fit in with the track. They sound more like the room they're recorded in rather than the "room" you've created with the instrumental tracks. It might be an issue of their raw sound rather than their mix.

How are you recording the vocals?
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slump D View Post
    I have the separate vocals and instrumental tracks if anyone really wants to try their hand at it...even willing to pay if it changes my life, haha.
    Feel free to send me the tracks. I'll change your life

Thread Information