Made of Stone

Theferryman

Hello!

I'm new here and I wanted to share this with everyone. I'd love to hear some other perspectives.

This is from a 2010 release from a band I was in. I played Guitar and recorded/mixed everything. There's a lot here to play with. Drums, Piano, Guitars, etc.

Though I did not sing or write the lyrics, this was by far one of my favorite songs I brought to the project. A project that was tedious, frustrating and above all else, disappointing.

This was done on the cheap. The mics ranged from trash to decent. It was recorded with a Presonus FirePod on a windows PC into Cubase 5 and mixed ITB.

The original mix can be found here: I Disagree

The tacks can be found here: My Files

Details: recorded at 441./16 Bit. There might be some leftover automation in some spots but I did try to clean it up. If you need something or feel like something is missing email me at ferrymanscoin@gmail.com. It'll get to me faster :)

Happy Mixing!

P.S. Please forgive my dreadful guitar playing!

'Guitar & Piano & Vocal' name of this track is great
'Drums & Bass' name of this track needs some improvement

Hi! I liked the song very much!
Mixed it and mastered to get closer to polished modern rock sound and yet wide atmospheric vibe at the same time.

Last edited:
Here's my version.

Made of stone M7.mp3

(This is an attempt but I believe I can make it better, so maybe in a day or two I'll be back with new version of mix - thank you for the song!).

UPDATE:

Second try...

Attachments

• Made Of Stone_9.mp3
    15.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for the multitrack!
Here's my take so far:

drive.google.com/open?id=10XK_TNLFOGIlDaWt8q-widX7oPircRpH

(paste the link, cause I cannot post it as a direct url)

There's still a few problems in my mix, like a slight crackling/overload and I already have a suspicion about which plugin is the culprit.
I also took the liberty to pitch correct a few places of the vocals.

Hi there, thanks for the multitrack!
Here's my take so far:

drive.google.com/open?id=10XK_TNLFOGIlDaWt8q-widX7oPircRpH

(paste the link, cause I cannot post it as a direct url)

There's still a few problems in my mix, like a slight crackling/overload and I already have a suspicion about which plugin is the culprit.
I also took the liberty to pitch correct a few places of the vocals.

This sounds really good!! Love the effort. I find it kinda silly that no one went with delay on the clean guitar parts on the verses. I actually only came up with that riff because i was experimenting with Amplitube 2 and a led zep preset with delay. Everyone seems to keep it clean.

Your mix was closest to mine in the end. If anyone wants any other tracks off this album, ill totally post them!

Last edited:
I Disagree - Made Of Stone (Sawmixing MIX 02)

Mix uploaded in MP3 320k format. they don't allow wav files. There is some content missing in one of the overheads? around 4:30 and after..
Please comment about the mix so i can improve my mixing. Thanks

Attachments

• I Disagree - Made Of Stone (Sawmixing MIX 02).mp3
    15.5 MB · Views: 63
Me and my friends want to start recording stuff soon, so I figured I'd learn how to properly mix real recordings. I'm used to do electronic stuff where I can design the sounds and synths with mixing in mind, so it was challenging to work with real instrument recordings. I went for a more laid back and dynamic sound with it, and I've never done vocals before but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. What do you think of it?

View attachment Made of Stone - Ruby Mix.mp3

So, the drums and the bass made me itch. Especially the drums.
But it worked out in the end.. It's actually a really good piece of art! Great guitarist and pianist!
So here's my take at it:
PS: The guitars and vocals could need some tweaking, 1-3dB maybe. But it'll do haha

Back