King Bloom - Overgrown

Thanks for the tracks Headline! Good song!

Here's my mix - no mastering - a little compression on the 2-bus...

Attachments

• King Bloom - Overgrown mix.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 164
Very much vocal dynamic

Very nice song.
Only the dynamic of your Vocals is higher as the synamic of the instrumental, so it's hard to level the vocals to the instrumental. I used the Waves Vocal Rider and handmade volume automation to fix that.
Here is my mix. It's one of my first complete mixes.
View attachment King Bloom - Overgrown.mp3

This was a FUN track to mix. Thanks for posting Headline!

Mostly clean vocals on most of the mixes above. I went for a more pop vocal thing.
Interested to hear why others kept their vox dry.

My wet vocal chain after pitch correction, EQ and compression is:
A flanger into a bandpass ping pong delay into a reverb.
Then this channel is sidechain compressed using the vocal as a trigger to push it out of the way when the singer sings.

The vocal had lots of dynamic range, but a parallel (NY Compression) setting on Maximus (FL studio user here!) sorted it out no worries. Just the preset.
Well done to the tracking engineer to get an undistorted print. Also very impressed with the vocalist's timing and consistency.

I stuck some gentle distortion on most things. Eg: the guit buss, bass, vox buss. (Fruity fast distortion)
Automated the reverb and Vox FX out for each cutout before the chorus.
And a subtle trick... I used a sidechain expander on the guitar buss, triggered by the kick drum, to create a bit more movement.

Loved mixing this track thanks so much, please do dig through the old crates of recordings and stick em up here!

PS: this one was in E natural minor (E F# G A B C D E) or Aeolian of G maj

View attachment Overgrown_3.mp3

Or with revised levels, since apparently no-one on here mixes to a LUFs limit or dynamic range (so enjoy the distortion)

Attachments

• Overgrown_4.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hey Theralion. I like your vocals. They sit well on this mix and always come across without overdoing it. I've mixed it with a much more live feel - hoping to upload soon (as this is my first post).

Good work.

Hi bouldersoundguy. Love this mix - it has everything I'm looking for and faithful to the original material. Love the echo at the end. Great job.

King Bloom - Overgrown (Sawmixing MIX 03 Original Mix)

Mix uploaded in MP3 320k format. they don't allow wav files. Please comment about the mix so i can improve my mixing. Thanks

Attachments

• King Bloom - Overgrown (Sawmixing MIX 03 Original Mix).mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 52
Mix uploaded in MP3 320k format. they don't allow wav files. Please comment about the mix so i can improve my mixing. Thanks

The overall balance seems mostly okay. I'm not sure I'm into the tones. There's sort of a "cheap 80s stereo pushed too hard" kind of thing going on. The kick is a bit wooden, and perhaps too up front.

King Bloom - Overgrown (Sawmixing MIX r2)

I upload another take. Thanks bouldersoundguy for the comments!

Attachments

• King Bloom - Overgrown (Sawmixing MIX r2).mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 26
Hey Theralion. I like your vocals. They sit well on this mix and always come across without overdoing it. I've mixed it with a much more live feel - hoping to upload soon (as this is my first post).

Good work.

Thank you! And there's the reason for me to have another try!

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there are lots of time-alignment/phasing issues between the kick tracks and the overhead tracks. Sounds as though either the kick tracks or the overhead tracks have been shifted slightly, most likely manually and imperfectly, in certain spots. It's a shame because this is a great song and I would love to do a proper mix of this. I may still go ahead with an attempt but unfortunately, I believe it will require some amount of drum replacement (which is something I'd rather not do due to it not sounding as authentic as real drums.) I've had a go at this song once before. I used virtual drums for every drum track (excluding overheads.) At the time, I thought it was an improvement from the original, natural drum sound but as I've listened to that mix once again recently, I realised the drums sound pretty horrible. Way too fake. No authenticity. No integrity. Anyway, If I mix this song again and am happy with the results I'll come back and share it.

Thanks.

require some amount of drum replacement (which is something I'd rather not do due to it not sounding as authentic as real drums.) I've had a go at this song once before. I used virtual drums for every drum track (excluding overheads.) At the time, I thought it was an improvement from the original, natural drum sound but as I've listened to that mix once again recently, I r
So much critique with no mix posted. Hope you're making an income from telling clients what's not possible, then producing no mix.

Hello.

I used to play in a band called King Bloom, it's been some time since it's release (4 years as of this post) and I would like to pay it forward. I've lurked this forum practicing mixes that people have posted and would love to give you all something new.

It's a full band alt-rock/emo song, you can listen to it using the bandcamp link below. I'd love to hear criticism of my mix, and I'd love to hear what you guys come up with.

The tracks are raw, unprocessed, exports. They're a bit messy, but workable. The song should be in Bmaj if I remember correctly, intro tempo is 110bpm, picks up to 143bpm once you hear quarter notes syncopation on the high hat

Bandcamp: Overgrown | King Bloom

Download!
The download goes to a 404 error page - can you repost it?

Back