King Bloom - Overgrown

Headline,

Just listened on Band Camp. Fantastic song to work with! Looking forward to giving it a shot. I'll be using Studio One.

-Ryan

Reworked my mix, and brought the limiter on the 2 buss down. Finally have monitors set up, but in a new room, so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Listened to several of the mixes on computer speakers and in my car (which has a pretty good stereo, and pretty flat down to 40hz). Most of them were pretty bottom heavy in the car, and on the computer speakers the kick was not very defined. Other than that, they sound pretty good. On my studio monitors the discrepancies were mostly taste, and the bottom and kick issues are not as apparent. However, I don't trust my monitors yet. Room has not been treated or tuned either. Thanks again Headline for the cool tune and letting us practice with it!

I really like the kick drum presence you added. Sounds very natural. Keep it up man.

Here is my work in progress mix, still got some automation to do and fixing the snare sample I blended to not play during the snare rim bit before the first chorus, but so far I am pretty happy. Gonna do a proper master and some final mix eq once my ears are rested.View attachment 105718

I absolutely love it, I like it way more than my personal mix. You gave it lots of depth and I can hear through the entire mix. Did you sample the kit?

I absolutely love it, I like it way more than my personal mix. You gave it lots of depth and I can hear through the entire mix. Did you sample the kit?

So what I did was blend a kick and snare sample in a bit. I liked the recorded kicks but you can hear a lot of room in the outer kick mic so I used an expander to lower the bleed but allow the transient through, did the same process for the inside kick, found I enjoyed the phase cancellation of inverting the inner kick mic track, but since I pushed a lot of low end eq on the outer kick and high end on the inside kick, the result was devoid of upper mids and so I used a kick sample that kinda accentuated the low end on the outside kick, complemented some of the high end on the inside kick, but filled out the mid range. It is about 25% sample though I never replace, don't believe in all out replacement.

The snare top had a ton of dynamics and crack to it so I blended an andy sneap snare which tend to be very fat sounding into it, which also gave the snare some depth as the sample has both snare top and bottom. I mixed those about 60% original snare and 40% sample.

I used expanders versus gates on all the drum shells, and since there was a lot of hihat bleed on the floor tom I added an instance of tominator which is a frequency dependant expander to kinda kill the highs when the tom isn't hit but still keeps the background bleed below the frequency threshold.

I used vca compressor plugins on the the inside kick, snare, and toms, used an 1176 style fet comp on outside kick, and did a parallel comp with an 1176 smashed all buttons in, made some reverb sends for the snare and simulated room, and that gave a bit more air to the kit.

I didn't do a ton to guitars, but added a jc120 style chorus to the lead guitar to enhance presence since it is turned down kinda low in the mix, and also raise the length of the delay and reveb tails from the printed track. I turned the dirty guitars up and added a bit of eq to them and the bass I used a sansamp plugin, made it really beefy with a ton of high, then highpassed it at 40hz, added some upper midrange in a spike for pick attack, a small amount of chorus to add more depth, then compressed the sweet jesus out of it to keep it somewhat leveled out so I could turn it up.

Vocals I compressed with an 1176 and la3a style comp, then bussed out delay and fed the delay into a reverb on the same bus.

My gf just gifted me rbass and the Ir1 convolution reverb from waves for valentines day so this weekend I will fix the automation, make sure the sidestick hits arenot masked by a snare sample for that part, and maybe use the massive free reverb IR library waves gives for free with the plugin to improve the room sound, and use the rbass to get the kick and bass to have better translation on small speakers. Then I will do a less squashed master which will probably open it up a little more. Current file you can look at with analyzing plugins and the LUFS are a bit too hot and the peaks still make the whole track get turned down if you were to put it on say, spotify.

I am really glad you liked it, been trying to get my name out there locally and since I haven't had a lot of clients I tend to mix things I find for free online and use it to showcase what I can do(with permission of course from the artist)

Thanks for the detailed write-up, sounds like that girl is a keeper :D

I've never had formal training as an audio engineer. I currently work doing live sound and stage tech work for theme parks, but my heart has always been in the studio. Neither position is a career path, but merely a hobby and have gotten to work with some amazing people over the years. I have many sessions I can bounce to you (of varying quality) if you're looking for practice, just let me know and I can try to dig something up.

Feels a little dark for my taste, but this song is dark as is, so fair :p Panning of toms feels a little wide to me, overheads are missing some brightness overall, vocals sit really well, that's about it I can think of

Thanks for listening, Headline! I rolled off the highs on the drum overheads to give it a warmer, vintage tone, if that makes sense. Maybe it was a little too much. I just didn't want the sibilance in the lead vocals to have to compete with the high frequencies of the cymbals. And I think I agree with the toms being too wide. Good song!

Thanks for listening, Headline! I rolled off the highs on the drum overheads to give it a warmer, vintage tone, if that makes sense. Maybe it was a little too much. I just didn't want the sibilance in the lead vocals to have to compete with the high frequencies of the cymbals. And I think I agree with the toms being too wide. Good song!

Thank you! I appreciate it!

It's a good song that reminds me of ROXY MUSIC.
Listen to my MIX tracks.

Attachments

• Overgrown-001.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 38
Awesome Tune. looking forward to mixing it

Hi, I'm a mixing and Mastering student, Thanks for the Upload and going to give it a try.

Cheers

King Bloom - Overgrown (Pevy Sue)

Hey guys,

Here's my take. I actually spent shitloads of time on this so I hope someone listens to it! I really liked the song when I heard the original BandCamp mix. You guys did a good job.

Hope you enjoy,

Pevy Sue

EDIT: Can't post the song because I just signed up, (specifically for this.) Dang!

If anyone's interested I'll send you a link directly. PM me.

My Mix

Hey there, I want to add my mix I made for your song onto this, but I'm unsure of how to. Ableton won't let me export as an mp3 and I see that .Wav files are not supported as attachments here..

Would really love for you to hear it!

Hey there, I want to add my mix I made for your song onto this, but I'm unsure of how to. Ableton won't let me export as an mp3 and I see that .Wav files are not supported as attachments here..

Would really love for you to hear it!

No doubt some other software can convert your WAV to MP3. How about Audacity?

My first attempt at mixing anything on this forum - haven't been mixing very long, and opinions or tips are highly appreciated!

"crap, I can't post anything yet"

drivegooglecom/open?id=1P2tJ_NEOs_jY0Jh844FlzR-7y53ELMY4

Last edited:
Hey Headline. Been working on the track. I definitely feel the midwest emo vibe. I'm going down that route, as far as mixing is concerned. It's a cool little song, man! I'll post up something when I finish.

My mix

Hello everyone, I tried mixing this nice song. I'm more used to mixing metal, punk and hardcore, so it was a little out of my comfort zone. What do you think? All feedback is welcome!

Attachments

• King Bloom.mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 34
Back