help in building portfolio

Ncpm

Hi everyone, I was trying to build a portfolio to work online as a sound engineer, but I can't find any quality multitrack that can be used except for educational purposes.

I have mixed many of those, but unfortunately they cannot be used

I would need 4-5 tracks in different genres (pop, rock, edm, hip hop), with a good quality of the recorded file but I don't know where to find them.
Can someone help me?

Hi everyone, I was trying to build a portfolio to work online as a sound engineer, but I can't find any quality multitrack that can be used except for educational purposes.

I have mixed many of those, but unfortunately they cannot be used

I would need 4-5 tracks in different genres (pop, rock, edm, hip hop), with a good quality of the recorded file but I don't know where to find them.
Can someone help me?

Howdy Ncpm. Welcome to the forum.

What is your experience and goals?

That is going to be a tough one. You kind of need to offer to mix for someone who doesn't care about the rights to their songs. That might be easy to find with people recording in their simple home studios, but you might be hard pressed to find professional quality recorded tracks that way.

I would not be able to send tracks for you to mix from any artists that I work with as that would not be legal or fair to them.

Do you not have recordings you have produced yourself? I kind of started that way 2 decades ago, and now I do get others that pay me to mix records recorded elsewhere. But it took a bunch of years of experience with other studios and word of mouth.

I will say that I would likely not hire someone to mix something that did not have previous experience engineering/recording records from the ground up. That is how it starts and how you learn. Unless you start with well recorded tracks in a well treated place with quality gear, you mostly end up more 'fixing' issues than mixing.

I wouldn't consider myself worthy to mix for others if I did not have those years of experience first. Even then, who is to say I am the right guy?

Cheers!

The Produce Like A Pro Website has links to several places (including this forum) to grab stems to mix:
Free Multitracks to Hone Your Mixing Skills - Produce Like A Pro

The Lewitt Microphones website occasionally runs mixing contests, and they leave the stems from old contests available as well:
Mixing contest & multitrack downloads | LEWITT

I've seen several instances on Facebook groups where someone will make a request to mix someone else's tracks for free, and they'll usually get a couple of takers. It can be hit-or-miss though. This is the one that I've been involved in, but there are a ton of them out there: Home Recording Studio Zone

Hi to everyone, thank you for replying!

I have a lot of experience in music industry, I have already two honors degree in music production and composition and I have been working as an ost composer for several years, always mixing my tracks.
I mixed songs with millions of streams, so I am already at least at a medium/advanced level.
Now i'd like to start mixing for other people, but unfortunately I only found tracks for educational purposes.
The problem is that I can create tracks, but I can't sing them, while for a portfolio, something closer to normal pop production would be better!

Thanks Tadpui, but the first two I think are only for education purpose, I need the author's permission to use them for commercial purposes, correct me if I'm wrong!

I can try to ask someone to do it for free, but usually those who could accept this deal, have a low quality production.

So I was wondering if you know some free or paid service (at fair prices!) that offers 3-4 multitrack of the highest quality to create a good portfolio!
I only found one service that offered metal tracks, but i could make just one metal song, i would also like to work on other genres like edm, pop or hip hop

Last edited:
Hello! Just stumbled upon this site and wow, lots of helpful information here!

Ncpm, I'm looking for a go-to mixer/masterer for my music. I'm currently doing it all myself -- and it isn't the best. My music can be heard on youtube or instagram if you search for "MelloFlowz." I mainly do hiphop.

I have a lot of music projects in the works. If you're interested, please let me know! Thanks

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding quality multitrack recordings to use in your portfolio. It can be difficult to find good resources for this kind of thing, but I have a few suggestions that might help.

First, I would recommend checking out some of the online audio libraries or sample packs that are available. There are a lot of great resources out there, and you might be able to find what you need. Second, I would suggest reaching out to some local musicians or bands and see if they might be willing to let you record some sessions with them. This can be a great way to get some high-quality tracks for your portfolio. Finally, if all else fails, you could always try recording your own tracks using a microphone or other recording device. This can be a bit more challenging, but it can also be a lot of fun.

I hope these suggestions help! Good luck with your portfolio and let us know how it turns out.

_______
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

Last edited:
Back