A Challenge! Make this vocal fit.

I think the vocal timing got out of sync in my mix. I will repost later.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't respond to some of he previous posts. I stopped checking back after I posted the finished track in another thread. If anybody is interested and missed that thread, the final mix is here;

Fishmed, I like that yours has a really well-supported mid-range minus the harshness. What did you do?

I used an Oxford EQ to notch it at 1khz and again at 2.8khz, the Cubase EQ to roll off the highs a half db from like 6k and up, put an LA-2A plug on it, then ran it through an outboard 1176, a JDK compressor and a JDK EQ (don't recall the settings), then printed that to a new track and tweaked it a hair more with a Pultec plugin and another 1176 (plugin). It then got EQ'd and compressed again with plugins on the vocal grouping and again through the outboard stuff when I printed through the summing amp. All the compressors were set to barely touch it. The automation was doing all the heavy lifting.

After all that effort, I don't think my attempt at it was as good as most of you guys. Oh well, I have three more tracks to mix so I'll have plenty of practice. :)

I used an Oxford EQ to notch it at 1khz and again at 2.8khz, the Cubase EQ to roll off the highs a half db from like 6k and up, put an LA-2A plug on it, then ran it through an outboard 1176, a JDK compressor and a JDK EQ (don't recall the settings), then printed that to a new track and tweaked it a hair more with a Pultec plugin and another 1176 (plugin). It then got EQ'd and compressed again with plugins on the vocal grouping and again through the outboard stuff when I printed through the summing amp. All the compressors were set to barely touch it. The automation was doing all the heavy lifting.

After all that effort, I don't think my attempt at it was as good as most of you guys. Oh well, I have three more tracks to mix so I'll have plenty of practice. :)

Try this: Take the raw vocal track (no automation) and run it through your 1176 at 1:4 letting the peaks reach but not exceed -10 db and of course compensate the signal volume back to zero. Print the audio to a new track, add HPF @ 100hz, apply any needed EQ, and run it through your LA2A plug, adjusting to taste. Then add the reverb of your choice.

Fishmed, I took your advice as a jumping off point for the next song I'm mixing with this same vocalist and it worked pretty well. I can certainly get away with a lot less automation and I was surprised to find that it didn't sound overly compressed even though I was hitting the 1176 pretty hard. I put a DeEsser on it at 5.6k and it's really close to done before any other EQ. Thanks for the perspective!

Fishmed, I took your advice as a jumping off point for the next song I'm mixing with this same vocalist and it worked pretty well. I can certainly get away with a lot less automation and I was surprised to find that it didn't sound overly compressed even though I was hitting the 1176 pretty hard. I put a DeEsser on it at 5.6k and it's really close to done before any other EQ. Thanks for the perspective!

Awesome! I can't wait to hear your finished mixes. Are you going to do a remix on Stone In Love? I would like to hear the difference between the two mixes. I have listen to some of your other covers and I think you have done a great job on them. With your monster guitar tone, you need to try and do Dr. Love by KISS. They did an increadible recording of that song on the second CD of their Sonic Boom project. I know you would knock it out ouf the park.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm going to try to leave Stone In Love alone at this point, because the amount of time I spend on mixes is already bordering on mental illness. The song I tried your suggestion on was another Benatar tune that this girl really wanted to do, so that'll be up on my Soundcloud page by this weekend. Still have to record the solo at the end. Also in the queue for mixdown (tracking done) I've got Carry On Wayward Son, Turn To Stone, and F-ing Perfect (by P!nk).

wonderful fine singing voice!! Trying to bring out the rudeness of voice and dynamics of the song. Should have had more tracks then it has become much better

Last edited:
I don´t know the genre so well, and thought it sounded like much others in the genre, so normal to me.

PS: Remember that mixing on poor D/A is senseless for midrange.

PBWY

Dip the guitars in the middle (m/s) &/or sidechain the vox so the guitars get out of the way. A bit of CLA 2A maybe as well.

If Anyone Wants to Trade Services, I Can Make Doubles for Your Single Vox Tracks

This was an old contest, but It was great practice for me to make her vocals sit on top of the mix, and to also practice my technique of making a double from a single vox recording. I use Melodyne to hand-craft a double of the original, and then make sure I don't have phase issues.
If you want this done for your projects, let me know - I might need your expertise on something, and we can trade services.

Attachments

• Julie Journey Vox .mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Julie Journey Vox w Mix.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Back