Why ITB Masters WILL NEVER! Be better than OTB

jaynm26

LOL! Knew that would get your attention! I just would like to just hear diff arguments. Please give comments and or arguments. I can give 100000000000 reasons why not, but (HRF) has me down to my last straw so I wont be the first one to comment on this one lol.

I did my first all itb album master in a few years a couple weeks ago and another one the following week.

The mixes were very good and there wasn't to much that needed changing besides very slight shelf adjustments and a little leveling. For some styles of music and caliber of mixes I have been exploring all itb options more recently. I still love using outboard a large percentage of the time.

Walt could you recall that ITB master and post your chain, or even better, post pictures of your plugin and chain, and also the song. And talk to us about it and your approach and workflow on it I think people could really benefit from this. Thanks

Walt, Red, & Massive, would it be rude to ask if you all have any youtube video's of you working or mastering tracks? I think that would be great to see you all in action. (There are some but not near as intuitive as needed and or just down right terrible :wtf:. If you do share links if not please think about it or consider I know at least 220 students that would attend your channel (Basically everyone in my eng class lol)

Thanks your info and replies are always respected and held in high regard

If they posted how they mastered they would be giving away trade secrets that took them years to perfect. You're going to have to find another place to get that info...or pay to take a course or something.

If they posted how they mastered they would be giving away trade secrets that took them years to perfect. You're going to have to find another place to get that info...or pay to take a course or something.

Really lol, The dark arts lol. Plenty of engineers tell their workflow on mastering on forums, youtube, pdf books without having to pay lol. This guy! lol What do you think these forums are for lol! ..I Know to keep secrets lol...Personally i dont think it took waltz YEARS to master ITB lol. Proly some years to gain knowledge to become a great Mastering Eng but not to master ITB.

The only dark mysterious thing about Mastering is the title thas it. THERE IS NOTHING SECRET ABOUT MASTERING!! WHY CAUSE EVERY MIX/SONG IS DIFF LOL!) Every piece of equipment, every monitor, every amp, converter, the weather (rains mostly in England than in Texas)...There is no secret cause it changes every time it is variable. You cant put a secret on constant change its RELATIVE! Now if there was one set of mastering monitors in the whole world, one software, one mastering console, one amp, one converter, one CD burner one of everything for every mastering eng in the entire world. And we all mixed just Pop music and it had the same instruments with the same vocalist EVERY SINGLE TIME! Then a little dark arts, or dark magic, or secret "mastering potions" might apply to separate one from the masses...NOOPPEE WAIT!! One last important element would have to be admitted for this "1 world mastering" planet to exists and that is we would all have to be the same individual why? cause we would have to have the same ears and perceive sound and taste of sound the same way. (If that aint possible!!). Workflow in mastering is no secret now some eng may have their own "secret tips" to get them to point B, but it dosent mean its the only way to point B.

Its no big secret lol. Im sure Walt will respond accordingly and please dont give up all your secrets Walt :p

Lol last time i checked I paid youtube to watch Grundman, and I pay $25 a month to watch Dave Pensado's "Pensado's Place". I also pay $200 a month to watch all of Fab Video's on PureMix (nothing this guys does is free lol). Not to mention I pay the guy at Guitar Center 30 cen a hour for convo on monitors.

Hey Walt please post your paypal along with your next post please :laughings:

The art of mastering lies in the ears, not in the equipment.

The first step is being able to hear things in a track that are disturbing, or could be better, and that are fixable in a mastering context.

The second step is knowing what has to be done to the track to effect those changes.

The third is having the means at your disposal to make those changes. Those means can reside in the box, or in outboard equipment; it's really immaterial which.

I hope you glean all the knowledge you need from this site's ME's...

Thank you I am trying idol, Im trying. Im currently Interning at a Mastering Studio here in Dallas TX. I am a student of the art my friend.
(rape these great engrs for all they got (My Leonidas Voice from 300, standing on top of my studio desk! "GIVE THEM NOTHING BUT TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING!") :laughings:

The art of mastering lies in the ears, not in the equipment.

The first step is being able to hear things in a track that are disturbing, or could be better, and that are fixable in a mastering context.

The second step is knowing what has to be done to the track to effect those changes.

The third is having the means at your disposal to make those changes. Those means can reside in the box, or in outboard equipment; it's really immaterial which.

And that my dear friends is the DARK ARTS OF MASTERING!!!! MUuUUHAHAHAHAH!!! lol.
Gecko you summed up the entire mastering process in just a few sentences well done my friend.

Walt could you recall that ITB master and post your chain, or even better, post pictures of your plugin and chain, and also the song. And talk to us about it and your approach and workflow on it I think people could really benefit from this. Thanks
Sure. There's really not much to see though. It's just a ren eq and fab filter limiter. On this particular project the client wanted me to do mix consulting through out the process so by the time it came to mastering it was easy. ..specially since they wanted conservative levels. Even on the rare occasions I mix and then master it's 90% of the time just the bax shelf and a touch of tube compression. I think to many time people try to throw in the kitchen sink when you can get away with way less. It's just about critical listening and then doing the least possible to make it right.

Thx Walt and I appreciate the information and a lot that you are willing to share your work. (See Idol, told ya!) lol

Back