what mastering compressor do you use?

djclueveli

what mastering compressor do yall use? and also can software compressors such as wavesLinMb work just as good as those high quality hardware compressors? i'm tryna find a high quality software compressor but i dint know which is the best in yalls opinion.

Most of the time I use any of the following often in combination:

Crane Song STC-8
Chandler LTD-2
Weiss DS-1

I also have the Waves Lin MB, that I use on occasion to help balance a dynamically dependent frequency issue (not as a main compressor) usually with automation.

To answer your question, I would have to say that I never heard a software compressor sound as "sweet" as analog hardware, including the Weiss which is probably the best "software" compressor that you can get. Likewise I have yet to find an analog comp that's as transparent as the Weiss. It's all dependent on what's needed at the moment, there is no single comp that's "the best".

Last edited:
Another vote on the Crane Song STC-8. Manley Variable Mu, SSL-4000G buss compressor clone.

Plugs... Some of UAD's plugs are pretty nice. Not getting rid of the hardware anytime soon though...

And comparing a maul-the-band compressor with a standard broadband compressor... They're not really for the same thing. Yes, they both reduce the dynamic range, but as mentioned, normally more of a "band-aid" for unbalanced mixed. Not exactly a normal everyday tool.

I am using a pair of LTD-2s but I am doing rock music. what style are you doing?

Hardware.......I use the Brgr's Ultramiser....LOL :) ....seriously!!.....it ain't tooooooooo bad .(but it does takes friggin' ages to get it set up within ball-park range, even though it's 'easy to use'.)
There you go, I admitted it!!..........crickey! :D

Last edited:
Ironklad Audio said:
how does the SSL plug compare to the real deal?

It doesn't.

Well it does impart a SSL like tone but the compression part has a totally differant feel from the hardware.

understandable

i've tried out the plugin before and thought it sounded decent, but you have to wonder how much it compares to actual analog circuitry

Ironklad Audio said:
how does the SSL plug compare to the real deal?

It isn't too bad, but there is a noticeable difference. The Quad Comp on the SSL ties the low end a bit better than the plug-in, and obviously adds harmonics that the plug-in can't replicate.

That being said, the Waves SSL bundle rocks if you don't have the real thing to work on.

Not exactly considered a "mastering" compressor, but I like the Waves Renaissance Compressor and the Focusrite d3. For quite a while now, both of these, have really been work horses for me. I've only owned the WAVES SSL 4000 COLLECTION for about 2 months now, and I don't feel I've used it enough to make a determination, good or bad for now. Last weekend I did some experimenting with the SSL channel strip, and I believe with a little work, and getting used to, it will be usable for me.

I've owned the URS EQ plugs for quite a while now and have grown to love them, especcially the FullTec. I've not used any of the URS compressor plugs yet, does anyone have any experience with those?

I use waves c4 usually on opto followed by L2 maximiser.
I'm going to try out the sonotis multi that came with s6 producer and see how it goes. Its a 5 band ,but I'll probley stay with waves.

F.S.

Zetajazz44 said:
Not exactly considered a "mastering" compressor, but I like the Waves Renaissance Compressor and the Focusrite d3. For quite a while now, both of these, have really been work horses for me. I've only owned the WAVES SSL 4000 COLLECTION for about 2 months now, and I don't feel I've used it enough to make a determination, good or bad for now. Last weekend I did some experimenting with the SSL channel strip, and I believe with a little work, and getting used to, it will be usable for me.

I've owned the URS EQ plugs for quite a while now and have grown to love them, especcially the FullTec. I've not used any of the URS compressor plugs yet, does anyone have any experience with those?

I'll agree with Zeta on the Renaissance Compressor. The last album I did I never used the Renaissance on single tracks because it seemed to take away or color the sound just by putting it on a track,"even when bypassed", but it did a good job on the stereo mix. I used it on the stereo mixes for about 3db gain reduction on the loudest peaks with about 3db make up gain applied. It seemed to glue the song together pretty well while adding a little warmth. I used this followed by the L2 to apply the make up gain. We couldn't afford mastering but we were very happy with the results. To be honest, sometimes i think an untrained ear really can't tell the difference anyways. Though I would prefer to have it professionally mastered.

Edit to say, the songs provided in the links in my sig are not the songs I'm talking about. They will be released tomorrow and on the website soon.

I don't have lots of cash so I use the Waves Renaissance from the Musicians Bundle. Works pretty well. I've tried the SSL 4000 bus comp and it was nice, a little more pump. I wouldn't get the SSL comp on its own, but if I were getting the SSL bundle I would probably use it over the Renaissance comp.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention volume automation as another form of "compression". This is the best compressor that you can get, at least for large time frames of a song that are exceeding the range that you want.

Last edited:
Back