What do you think of this track's loudness?

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 203901

Hi there,

Happy New year's to everyone here! I recently uploaded one of my original Nepalese rock songs on YouTube after having done some tweaks to increase its loudness. I'm not very knowledgeable about mastering in general, but I felt like this track's volume was a little low. So, all I really did was import this mix into my Pro Tools session and pushed the master fader as much as I could without having the track clip. The thing is that this track was mixed/mastered by a friend of mine way back in 2010 and by today's standards, I felt that the volume sounded a little low. So I simply increased the volume by pushing the Master fader. Do you think that this is a good way to increase loudness? Also, what do you think of the overall loudness of this track? By the way, here's the YouTube link for the track:

Prawol Bhattarai - "Yesto Kahile" | Older Version | Nepali Rock (Lyric Video) - YouTube

There are loudness limits, or "norms", measured in dB LUFS, for some of the streaming sites, like YouTube, Spotify, etc. and if your music is geared to those, you should become familiar with those and understand how to get at least close to those numbers. If you are creating a CD, then having good reference tracks for current music in the same or similar genre is probably the best place for determining the loudness you should target.

YouLean is a piece of software that can operate standalone or as a plugin. (Some cost for the standalone, IIRC), and I believe the Orban Loudness Meter tool is still available freely. Your DAW may even have a loudness meter plugin. That's how you measure LUFS on the final mix (mastered or not). Having someone listen to something on YouTube is not valid because YouTube does some leveling in their compression.

Loudness of a "mastered" track usually involves EQ, compression and limiting, all done to a HD stereo mix that has not already been pushed to the limit. At least that's my IMO/$.02...

Last edited:
There are loudness limits, or "norms", measured in dB LUFS, for some of the streaming sites, like YouTube, Spotify, etc. and if your music is geared to those, you should become familiar with those and understand how to get at least close to those numbers. If you are creating a CD, then having good reference tracks for current music in the same or similar genre is probably the best place for determining the loudness you should target.

YouLean is a piece of software that can operate standalone or as a plugin. (Some cost for the standalone, IIRC), and I believe the Orban Loudness Meter tool is still available freely. Your DAW may even have a loudness meter plugin. That's how you measure LUFS on the final mix (mastered or not). Having someone listen to something on YouTube is not valid because YouTube does some leveling in their compression.

Loudness of a "mastered" track usually involves EQ, compression and limiting, all done to a HD stereo mix that has not already been pushed to the limit. At least that's my IMO/$.02...

Thanks keith.rogers for your reply. The DAW that I use is Pro tools and since it's an earlier version (i.e. 8.0.5), it only accepts RTAS plugins. I'll have to search and look at all the plugins to see if there already is some type of stock loudness meter there (so far I haven't see any) If not, I'll definitely try the ones you recommended above: Orban and YouLean (provided that they are also RTAS compatible) The standalone software should work regardless of whether it is RTAS compatible or not. Thanks for pointing out these options. I appreciate it. Thank you!

Back