WaveLab 8 Trial version now available

Guillermo N

Hello all,

We have released the free trial version of the all new WaveLab 8 audio editing mastering solution.

With 150+ new features, the latest incarnation of WaveLab comes with more tools and workflow enhancements than in any other WaveLab version. Highlights include the intuitive speaker management system, advanced EBU R128-compliant loudness metering, iZotope's MBIT™ high-end dithering algorithms and Voxengo's acclaimed CurveEQ.

WaveLab 8 Trial may be used for a period of 30 days and comes with the same functionality that the full version has to offer.

Please note that the trial version needs to be activated online and requires a USB-eLicenser, which is included with previous versions of WaveLab or other Steinberg products. If you don’t own a USB-eLicenser, you may purchase it from our Online Shop or your local dealer.

You can download the WaveLab 8 trial from the following link:

Trial

Best regards,
GN

Please note that the trial version needs to be activated online and requires a USB-eLicenser, which is included with previous versions of WaveLab or other Steinberg products. If you don’t own a USB-eLicenser, you may purchase it from our Online Shop or your local dealer.

Again, requiring a potential customer to buy a dongle before they can use a trial version of software is pretty stupid. The only valid technical reason for this is laziness on the coders' part. Open up the trial version for everyone to use, not just exisitng Steinberg customers!!!! Poor marketing strategy.

Now my question: I have had previous versions of wavelab essentials and have ALWAYS had problems with getting the CD-burners to work properly with WLE. So much so, that I actively steer HomeRecording.com users away from Wavelab. Have you guys fixed the problems with CD burners, unique drivers, updating lists, etc.... with WL8?? Will Wavelab 8 work with ANY CD-Burner or does the user still have to jump through hoops to get WL to recognize the burner.

Is there a Wavelab Essentials 8?

Thanks.

Again, requiring a potential customer to buy a dongle before they can use a trial version of software is pretty stupid. The only valid technical reason for this is laziness on the coders' part. Open up the trial version for everyone to use, not just exisitng Steinberg customers!!!! Poor marketing strategy.

Now my question: I have had previous versions of wavelab essentials and have ALWAYS had problems with getting the CD-burners to work properly with WLE. So much so, that I actively steer HomeRecording.com users away from Wavelab. Have you guys fixed the problems with CD burners, unique drivers, updating lists, etc.... with WL8?? Will Wavelab 8 work with ANY CD-Burner or does the user still have to jump through hoops to get WL to recognize the burner.

Thanks.

I am glad you made this statement, I was thinking the same thing. Just to test it out, I have to do what? Thanks for your posting.

I want to try these guys out, but...

Thanks.

You'd probably find that their desire to keep their software piracy protected outweighed their marketing plan. I don't blame them. They have made their business based on their existing customers.

And I've never had trouble with the CD burners or any of the things you're talking about. Possibly a hardware issue? I recall the CD burner issue being prevalent in the older versions of Wavelab but I haven't experienced or heard about it since WL5 or so. You used to have to use Plextors, if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo. Relax. WL7 and 8 are fantastic pieces of software and I highly recommend them to everyone.

Cheers :)

PS. I don't work for Steinberg.

...I don't blame them. They have made their business based on their existing customers...

Not to mention, attracting a whole pile of new customers over from Cakewalk's Sonar, who, as a company, are in the middle of learning a very hard, expensive lesson by their own strategies, [or lack thereof, perhaps].

I started with WLE 3!!!! :eek: It was okay, but there were problems with burners. You had to download and install an ATAPI driver, whatever that was. I think you had to update a list, too. There were many workarounds posted on the Cubase.net forum at the time. I upgraded to WLE6 and could never get the burner to work properly. I bought a Plextor thinking it would solve my problems, but it didn't. As of now, I can burn only one CD at a time. I cannot set it up to do multiple CD's. It crashes every time.

One shouldn't have to download new drivers or go to a forum for a workaround. The software should just work out of the box for all drivers. In all other aspects of WaveLab and Wavelab Essentials, it's a great tool. I would like to think Steinberg has crossed their T's and dotted their I's with version 8, but I'm skeptical. WLE6 should have fixed any problems WLE3 was having, but it was only worse.

The one good thing that came from WLE6's failure was I started using Kunaki instead of making my own burned duplicates.

Hey Chili,

I'm using Elements 7 here and have had no problems burning CD's yet. As of version 7 I know there was still one bug on Mac systems where you had to open Wavelab without any media in your drive. On the website they are claiming better stability with v8 as far as the CD burners go, so surely things are bound to be better.

It sucks that your upgrade discount is pretty little, but depending on how often you use it, it may pay off. I haven't been able to justify dishing out $50 here to upgrade to v8, so for now just trucking on with v7, which works plenty fine for me.

Good to know, Bane. Thank you. WLE6 is working okay for my purposes. Albeit, I had to tailor my purposes to fit its capabilities, but I have no reason to change yet. Still, I might look at the cost of upgrading... G.A.S. doncha know....

#9 Hello Chili,

You can download the trial for WaveLab Elements 8 and see if that works for you, it is not available yet.
But it should be any time soon, I recommend you to keep an eye on it, even though it doesn't include some features, it still should give you an idea of the basic work flow and feel of the software.

Best regards,
GN

Back