Volume difference between mac and iphone

Jb_1290

Hey everyone! New user here. Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed. I have an issue I’m stumped on. I’m using Logic Pro x to record mix and master a rock EP. My issue is after the final bounce to mp3 the master retains the mix but lacks in power and volume when played on iPhones. Is there a trick I’m missing when bouncing? Listening to the same file on my Mac in both monitors and headphones (good and bad quality) the volume is there and the tracks pump. I thought maybe mobile devices were limited volume wise but music through YouTube/Spotify etc is much louder than what my tracks are being played at. I’ve tried sending the files through email, Dropbox and even uploading to iTunes all with the same results. Hope I’ve explained this well enough and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Are saying there's a big difference between the mix on headphone before and after the bit crunching to MP3 or between loudspeakers on the mix and then MP3 on phones?

The problem is just when the same file is played through headphones/earbuds on iPhones. It’s almost like the iPhone has a volume limit. Like I said the same file played from my iMac with the same earbuds is much louder than what is coming from the phone. I wouldn’t normally be too bothered by this but seen as most commercial users listen via their phones it’s a big problem.

If you are mastering for iTunes you might need to master for a different loudness (LUFS) than other streaming services.

iTunes will attempt to play back your music at a consistent loudness if you have SoundCheck turned on. You can also enable volume limit in Settings on your iPhone, but those options would be affecting all your music library.

How it sounds when you play it back in your DAW or with a “quick look” on the Mac are not the equivalent. This is one place I think meters are useful.

So, maybe I’ll ask again what loudness you mastered to and what your process was?

An iPhone to an iMac is akin to comparing a Fender champ to a Deluxe reverb.

On the iPhone, ALL music files will sound relatively the same in volume.
If your song is a lesser volume than other songs on tje same device, it's a mastering issue.

Might be worth letting us hear one of the files that is causing problems. I'm wondering if there is something like excessive low bass causing the level to be reduced.

Back