Too Quiet?

Ralis

Hi Everyone!

I have mostly been a lurker for the past few years, learning and experimenting.

I am attempting to master myself mostly due to budgetary constraints.

I have read a lot of info and many seam to say the max output level should be -6 dB

I have done that and I like the mix, the clarity, and the dynamics of the mastered track. I have checked on studio monitors, home stereo with a sub woofer, the car, headphones and iPad speakers. It all seems to work with all the systems but... it just seems too quiet.

And I may add that I am confused by all the opinions of how “Loud” it should be for various media

Any ideas?

I have tried to upload the song on here many times but keep getting an error? It is an M4a and only 7.5 mb????

Loudness for specific targets, like YouTube, iTunes, et al, is measured in dB LUFS. The "integrated LUFS" is a kind of average over an entire song. That has nothing to do with peaks, really, but generally folks shoot for a peak of -1.0dB or maybe a smidge higher, but less than 0.0dB. -6.0dB (peak) might be a peak for a final mix that is going to be mastered.

I recommend trying LOUDMAX, it'll boost the mix without losing anything. Try it. It's FREE and if you don't like it, you still have the originals. If it won't work with your DAW, download AUDACITY (Free) and LOUDMAX (free). It takes a few seconds. I did my entire CD, it's quite perfect. Just don't boost too much. I found going to -7 is more than enough to boost it to what's on the radio right now.

I found going to -7 is more than enough to boost it to what's on the radio right now.

radio...

puts it's signal thru limiters, usually more than one.

any source, whether quiet or loud, will be brought up or down to the same level.

so, listening to the radio for levels, will tell you exactly zip.

radio...

puts it's signal thru limiters, usually more than one.

any source, whether quiet or loud, will be brought up or down to the same level.

so, listening to the radio for levels, will tell you exactly zip.

I don't listen to the radio at all. I haven't in about 30+ years. What I do, is play a CD (that would be on the radio. That's why I said "on the radio") for instance the new Dixie Chicks or Lucinda Williams albums which were both released within the past few months, and put a few songs into the DAW next to my own track and I work on Loud Max next to it. Then I go back and forth listening for volume and clarity. It works for me. It might not for others.

Back