Are there standards for mastering audio to be played with video on cell phones?

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
I know it depends on the individual mixes but are there starting points and ranges for volume, eq and compression for audio/video that will ultimately end up streamed to cell phones?

Hey NY, I've never actually mastered audio for mobile video, but I have written the audio portion of a few mobile games and other apps that have sound components to them that should sound good and its been my experience that people expect the audio coming from their phones to sound basically exactly like CD quality when they use headphones or run the headphone out into a line-in on something and the hardware in the phones will apply eq and such to the signal when the little speaker is being used (they generally assume its a CD quality signal and adjust for their particular speaker). HTH

Hey NY, I've never actually mastered audio for mobile video, but I have written the audio portion of a few mobile games and other apps that have sound components to them that should sound good and its been my experience that people expect the audio coming from their phones to sound basically exactly like CD quality when they use headphones or run the headphone out into a line-in on something and the hardware in the phones will apply eq and such to the signal when the little speaker is being used (they generally assume its a CD quality signal and adjust for their particular speaker). HTH

I have an mp4 video from a tv telethon that when played on a cellphone isn't loud enough to be heard from youtube. On a DVD player or computer the volume is ok, definitely not squashed. Do you have to max volume from the source for cellphones? So there is no special eqing to do because the hardware in the cell does it for you, nice.

I have an mp4 video from a tv telethon that when played on a cellphone isn't loud enough to be heard from youtube. On a DVD player or computer the volume is ok, definitely not squashed. Do you have to max volume from the source for cellphones? So there is no special eqing to do because the hardware in the cell does it for you, nice.

Basically what I was saying is its just "business as usual". The sound should sound the same when it comes out of the headphone jack on a phone as it does from the lineout of a computer or cd/dvd player or whatever. Anything special as far as eq'ing for the little speaker is handled by the phone the same for all sounds. The projects that I've been involved in as a sound programmer that were cross platform all have exactly the same audio code and source material and sound the same on phones as pcs or Xbox or whatever. The speakers aren't loud though, of course, so if you like to have quiet mixes that would be a problem on some (or probably most) phones. They perform and sound acceptable with "typical" sources, I guess id say (ie...yea... Loud). They're (almost certainly) engineered to be most audible with loud, smashed, commercial stuff. I feel like im saying things you already know, lol. Do you have a link to your vid?

... The speakers aren't loud though, of course, so if you like to have quiet mixes that would be a problem on some (or probably most) phones. They perform and sound acceptable with "typical" sources, I guess id say (ie...yea... Loud). They're (almost certainly) engineered to be most audible with loud, smashed, commercial stuff. I feel like im saying things you already know, lol. Do you have a link to your vid?
I'm the guitar player in this. The monitors were 15' out ahead of us and they had a humming problem from the piped in electric for the tv lights so the tech couldn't/wouldn't turn them up loud enough for us to hear them well. While playing I was listening to a mix from the acoustic and monitors which had a little delay out and back. The video was recorded to a DVD recorder and then rendered to an mp4. My drummer has CP and is a grad from the Disability Center. He played Stevie Wonder so well the radio hosts thought he was blind, lol.

I never worked with video and was wondering if I get software like Vegas if I can strip the audio from the video and boost the volume some.

Oh ya, the link... Spiritual Change Band.m4v - YouTube

The audio sounds fine now BUT seems a little out of synch.
Yeah I noticed that too but thought it was lag, lol, I'm totally new to video. I guess it's something to do with the way youtube handles mp4's. I just edited it with youtube's stabilize button and it seems better but it takes awhile for the edit to get posted.

Back