Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which standalone audio editor

Thanks

Which standalone audio editor

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi

I record using Logic 9. I prefer to use a standalone audio editor in conjunction with the editing tools in Logic. I currently use Audacity and I would like to upgrade to a pro standard editor. Any suggestions? Do people tend to use a standalone audio editor in conjunction with their DAW of choice?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Thanks
    Can you be specific as to what kind of tasks you want to do in an audio editor vs DAW?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Hi Keith

It is probably a quirk of mine but I find the interface and layout of editors such as Audacity easier to use than the rather more cluttered interface of my DAW. The task are the usual, editing spikes, normalising and limiting etc. Maybe I just need to devote more time to the editing tools in my DAW?

Paul

Thanks
    I use Wavelab Elements. I think it is a good fit for the home recording types who want to venture into mastering their own material. I'm pretty sure it is Mac compatible and it might use the plugs from your Logic collection.

Thanks
    Sound Forge comes to mind. Even if it's no longer Sony's. It's Magix's now.

SOUND FORGE

And I like Acoustica, from Acon Digital. Hard to find, since there's another developer of audio software that's called Acustica. See here:

Acoustica | Digital Audio Editor

I bought SF when it was still Sony. Recently added Acoustica to the toolbox as a destructive editor. A lot faster than doin't in REAPER if you have to edit a lot of files, because you don't need to render them in the end. And I need archive copies.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaupUK View Post
    Maybe I just need to devote more time to the editing tools in my DAW?

I'm sure you can zoom in and/or "unclutter" the DAW view easy enough.

I do everything in my DAW app, Samplitude ProX...which by the way now in the ProX3 version comes with Sound Forge.
    I've also had SF for as long as I've had Samplitude...and frankly...I can't remember the last time I used SF, and it actually hasn't been reinstalled on my last two DAW computers.
    Everything happens in ProX.
    I don't understand why some people need 2-3 different DAW-type apps to do edits, mixing and mastering...? To me, that is more "cluttered" than working on one, because they all have different views/layout, different tools, different keyboard commands...YUK...I stick with one app.

Thanks
    An editor is a lot faster if you need to clean up a few dozens of audio files. Maybe Samplitude is different. But there's no Mac version, so I'll have to pass, I'm afraid.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I don't understand why some people need 2-3 different DAW-type apps to do edits,
    Good point. My only reason for ever going down the WL road was to burn audio CD's. For mastering CDs in your home, I don't think there's a better software package for the job than a dedicated mastering program like WL or SF.

Ever since then, I have been using WL for 'finalizing' my singles and ripping to different formats. Yeah, I could do that in Cubase, but you know, stuck in my ways.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    An editor is a lot faster if you need to clean up a few dozens of audio files. Maybe Samplitude is different. But there's no Mac version, so I'll have to pass, I'm afraid.
    You can edit as fast in Samplitude as any editor-only app...and you can do it non-destructively or destructively.
    So it's very seamless working in Samplitude...from recording to editing to mixing and even mastering and CD burning.
    There's no need to go to some other app...unless you have some personal likes about using some other app...but not for lack of capability in Samplitude.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I am pretty sure Samplitude ProX 3 is now mac friendly?

The 30 day trial is 'full fat' so it is easy to give it a do. As for its editing capability? Not qualified to comment but my son used to zoom about chopping and shunting pretty well in the old 8SE version!

Dave.

Thread Information