Which standalone audio editor

LaupUK

Hi

I record using Logic 9. I prefer to use a standalone audio editor in conjunction with the editing tools in Logic. I currently use Audacity and I would like to upgrade to a pro standard editor. Any suggestions? Do people tend to use a standalone audio editor in conjunction with their DAW of choice?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi Keith

It is probably a quirk of mine but I find the interface and layout of editors such as Audacity easier to use than the rather more cluttered interface of my DAW. The task are the usual, editing spikes, normalising and limiting etc. Maybe I just need to devote more time to the editing tools in my DAW?

Paul

I use Wavelab Elements. I think it is a good fit for the home recording types who want to venture into mastering their own material. I'm pretty sure it is Mac compatible and it might use the plugs from your Logic collection.

Sound Forge comes to mind. Even if it's no longer Sony's. It's Magix's now.

SOUND FORGE

And I like Acoustica, from Acon Digital. Hard to find, since there's another developer of audio software that's called Acustica. See here:

Acoustica | Digital Audio Editor

I bought SF when it was still Sony. Recently added Acoustica to the toolbox as a destructive editor. A lot faster than doin't in REAPER if you have to edit a lot of files, because you don't need to render them in the end. And I need archive copies.

Maybe I just need to devote more time to the editing tools in my DAW?

:thumbs up:

I'm sure you can zoom in and/or "unclutter" the DAW view easy enough.

I do everything in my DAW app, Samplitude ProX...which by the way now in the ProX3 version comes with Sound Forge.
I've also had SF for as long as I've had Samplitude...and frankly...I can't remember the last time I used SF, and it actually hasn't been reinstalled on my last two DAW computers.
Everything happens in ProX.
I don't understand why some people need 2-3 different DAW-type apps to do edits, mixing and mastering...? To me, that is more "cluttered" than working on one, because they all have different views/layout, different tools, different keyboard commands...YUK...I stick with one app. :)

An editor is a lot faster if you need to clean up a few dozens of audio files. Maybe Samplitude is different. But there's no Mac version, so I'll have to pass, I'm afraid.

I don't understand why some people need 2-3 different DAW-type apps to do edits,

Good point. My only reason for ever going down the WL road was to burn audio CD's. For mastering CDs in your home, I don't think there's a better software package for the job than a dedicated mastering program like WL or SF.

Ever since then, I have been using WL for 'finalizing' my singles and ripping to different formats. Yeah, I could do that in Cubase, but you know, stuck in my ways.

An editor is a lot faster if you need to clean up a few dozens of audio files. Maybe Samplitude is different. But there's no Mac version, so I'll have to pass, I'm afraid.

You can edit as fast in Samplitude as any editor-only app...and you can do it non-destructively or destructively.
So it's very seamless working in Samplitude...from recording to editing to mixing and even mastering and CD burning.
There's no need to go to some other app...unless you have some personal likes about using some other app...but not for lack of capability in Samplitude.

I am pretty sure Samplitude ProX 3 is now mac friendly?

The 30 day trial is 'full fat' so it is easy to give it a do. As for its editing capability? Not qualified to comment but my son used to zoom about chopping and shunting pretty well in the old 8SE version!

Dave.

As amazing as it (Samp Pro X) is, there are enough issues on the PC side already. Doesn't stop me from using it - But I'm glad they decided to drop the Mac idea so they could concentrate on the PC.

Probably no market left once Apple lowered the price on Logic.

And it's better to do one thing properly than two things half.

As amazing as it (Samp Pro X) is, there are enough issues on the PC side already. Doesn't stop me from using it - But I'm glad they decided to drop the Mac idea so they could concentrate on the PC.

:D

I don't see your frustrated cries for help on the Sam website lately. ;) :p

Yeah...it needs some polish for sure.
It seems like the dust still hasn't settled on the SF/Vegas acquisitions from Sony. I kinda thought they were going to beef up the development team by now and start pushing a bit harder.

Oh...are you X3 yet or still on X1 or X2...?
I'm curious about some of the performance issues that "some" people seam to be having, all with the X3 version.

I've still got my X3 Suite sitting on the shelf (along with X2) and I'm continuing to run with X1 for the time being...but I would like to move to X3 Suite soon, since there are a few features there that I don't have...just don't want to go into any upgrade hell.

I don't see your frustrated cries for help on the Sam website lately. ;)
I got tired of trying. When I need to do a lot of "retouching" I load up in Pro X (an early version of Pro X - Can't remember off hand) where the spectral editor actually worked properly (and it was the last time it worked properly).

Otherwise -- Pro X3 and I went through just about the entire "Glitch Free" (pamphlet? manual?) to get it all humming along.

[EDIT] Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

I got tired of trying. When I need to do a lot of "retouching" I load up in Pro X (an early version of Pro X - Can't remember off hand) where the spectral editor actually worked properly (and it was the last time it worked properly).

Otherwise -- Pro X3 and I went through just about the entire "Glitch Free" (pamphlet? manual?) to get it all humming along.

[EDIT] Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

I will have to check out the "Glitch Free" guide...before I make the switch from X1 to X3.
I don't want to hold off much longer, considering I've had the X3 Suite for about 4 months now...call me chicken to upgrade. :p

I will have to check out the "Glitch Free" guide...before I make the switch from X1 to X3.
I don't want to hold off much longer, considering I've had the X3 Suite for about 4 months now...call me chicken to upgrade. :p

Thanks for asking Miroslav! M.M. had me worried there, I thought there was some deep problem with Pro X!

I bought the package simply because it was too good to miss, I don't need it really and do not/cannot use 0.1% of its potential (my goto DAW is still SE8!) but would hate to think I had bought a pup.

My son, who REALLY can't afford it bought the DVD version. He is 46 and "grew up" with MAGIX Studio Gen 6 then Sam SE8 so to have the latest and greatest was dreamtime for him and even on his woefully inadequate laptop he is loving Pro X 3 but I doubt he will get into the Spectral Editor any time soon.

Dave.

Err? Can you not just install Pro X 3 and leave X1 as is? On this laptop I ha Sams SE8, Silver Cloud, Pro X Silver and then the latest Pro X 3. They all co-exits and do not interfere with one another.

Dave.

Back