Soundways Reveal/"translation"

smg

Been reading a bunch of online info about this + wonder if anyone here uses it or similar software to focus on "translation" i.e.how a given mix sounds on different speakers/
/w/different playback context parameters...

I'm interested in finding out info re-the specific types of frequency range filtering that's used to simulate different listening contexts....

IME, there is no substitute for monitoring that's up to the task in a room that's also up to the task.

Imagine being in a room that's NOT [accurate and consistent] on speakers that are also NOT [accurate and consistent] and then asking a plugin to make your recording LESS accurate and consistent to see how it will sound on less accurate and consistent playback options.

It'd be like asking a colorblind person to judge the color balance on a painting with lighting adjustable from 2700-6000K lighting. You still don't know how it's going to actually look.

John's colour analogy is spot on.
Where I worked they had a screen printing shop and the lamps were special and expensive strips that gave a good approximation to daylight.

In the "rag trade" people have always gone outside to match cloth colours. Just as we automatically compensate for colour temperature we do the same for rooms, it takes a big change of the 'acoustic' before we are generally aware and even then, unless we are interested/trained we often don't notice that we have walked into a cavern!

Monitor speakers and the room they are in are the "test equipment" of the sound engineer. You would not trust a voltmeter that told you a different story depending on where you used it!
I do not miss "tape" at all but if it had ONE redeeming feature it at least forced the user to learn some 'science' in its use. The tape path kept clean and tapes calibrated if brands/batches changed. Then, levels were nowhere near as forgiving as digital, always fighting noise or distortion.

Dave.

Back