Software Advice

dsealer

I have a project that is getting close to finished. Its 13 oroiginal songs. I don't plan on selling any of the cds. I'm going to give them away to family, friends and to those who played on the songs. I'm hoping to keep the costs down. So with that in mind I'd like to do the mastering myself. I know the finished product won't be as good as if it was done by a professional but then again, it's not a "for profit venture"
Can anyone recommend a software package that would have Mastering Presets included? I could just run the songs through a preset and maybe in the long run learn how to use the software for future projects.
I know I don't understand all that's involved or everything I will encounter but I didnt understand lots of other things until I tried.
Thanks,
Don.....

I would suggest Youtube some "Mastering" vids. There are a number of different software mastering plugins and standalones depending on your OS and DAW

Not exactly what you're asking for, but have you tried LANDR? You just run your songs through their website, and pooff, you have a mastered song.:listeningmusic: They don't always get it right, but most of the time, it sounds great IMO.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, OZONE (a DAW plugin) is what you need. It has all of the mastering processors and costs around $200. The free processors that come with DAW do not have any mastering presets or chains setup.

Also, my mastering video or book will GREATLY help you understand EXACTLY what you are trying to achieve and how to do it.

Last edited:
"Presets" is the problem. How can 1 preset work on many different types of music, some at different volumes than others, some already compression-squashed, etc? I certainly wouldn't pay for 'Landr'. You might as well one of those guys on fiverr $5 a song to master.
What DAW are you using for mixing? Chances are you can use the Limiter, Compression and EQ you have.

Ozone is very good and has a "learn" function as well as presets to help newbies get started, but it takes time(like any system) to learn to use to full advantage. Which is why I suggested viewing some vids first so the OP can get a better handle on the different ways to accomplish their goal.

Imma slide in sideways on the Ozone thing -- I think it's the LAST thing you need. I've never seen another plug that can do so much damage to otherwise perfectly reasonable mixes. Maul-the-band (multiband) this, maul-the-band that, Haas filters on the low end (?!?!??!?). Presets in general -- Just do what your ears are telling you to do. You don't need anything that says "Mastering" on it except for whatever you're using to actually create the master. mjbphotos got it -- You already have the tools you need. What you don't need is [more tools that few mastering engineers actually use] or [a bunch of presets].

While we are talking about mastering software, has anyone here used the Lurssen Mastering Console software? I am just curious as they keep sending me deals on it and I am intrigued.

Alan.

I would think if they offered at half the price of 159 (that is what I saw from your link), it would be worth a try. IK seems to create pretty good software, that isn't an issue. Just does it yield the results?

Back