Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 79

Thread: Should you master a song if you only plan to release it as a single?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    14,405
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 610 Times in 557 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This whole thread is an argument over semantics. Frikkin lame. The real guts of the topic is what do you do if you have only one tune to put out.

    What DO you do?

    I bump the volume up with a limiter, might run it through an EQ to apply some global tweaks. Render to MP3 and call it good.

    Back to the semantics argument: I call the process "Finalizing" instead of mastering. Feel free to use the term.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    This whole thread is an argument over semantics.
    Yes...partly it was about wording...but there's also the debate about how mastering do these days, isn't true mastering (or something like that)...compared to the "real" mastering they did 60 years ago.
    Also, the other part of the debate is that you can't/don't master single songs...you just mix them...(or something like that).


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Just because you use the word to describe what you do does not mean that you are actually doing real mastering.
    If you are preparing for vinyl then you are medium mastering.
    If you are preparing a group of songs to work best together then you are pre mastering.
    If you are doing a single then you are mixing and calling that mastering may make you feel important but you are not mastering.
    No sir. The LIE was accusing me of being motivated to use the term for profit and ego
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    The current nonsense misuse of the word mastering is to sell more expensive services or to sound more important when you say you did it.
    I do it for myself. I do it as a favour to friends. I don't charge.

    And just to be very clear: I AM mastering, both singles and albums and I am NOT misusing the term. I'm doing the same as most Mastering Engineers do these days.

    Oh, and the second part of the lie: Unlike you, I don't have a need to say I'm doing something (or create a false argument) to "sound more important". I am - in the greater scheme of things - unimportant. In my humble opinion, that's way better than being utterly and completely irrelevant. That's what you are doing to mastering engineers.

    So I depart the thread here.
    No-one on here is going to get it through to you. I think your brain must be fossilised.
    I just hope the next time you use a train, or catch a bus, or fly on a plane, you don't accuse the guy up front of not being a driver or a pilot. They are those things, but they don't do it the same was as their predecessors did 60 years ago. Just as Mastering Engineers ARE Mastering Engineers, just doing it differently than their predecessors.

    SHEESH!

    Go Well.
    Last edited by Coquet-Shack; 08-14-2019 at 23:40. Reason: To repair missing lines

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,849
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 499 Times in 462 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    Totally random comment: I've recently found the "ignore" function to be quite useful.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    you are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.
    It's not an "opinion"...it's a fact....there really are pro mastering engineers who do it for a living in the high-end music industry, who regularly master singles for top clients, for top $$, every day.

    I don't know anymore what it is you are actually debating here, other than to just keep stirring the pot....?

    Sure...there are going to be no-name guys who claim to do mastering, etc...but the internet is full of people who claim stuff. This is nothing new.
    Heck...you've made a lot of claims with ZERO proof, other than your words...so why are you any different?

    That doesn't change the fact that mastering of singles is done by true mastering engineers every day...or the fact that the term mastering has evolved with the business of music production.
    The guys doing it in their bedroom studios for fun or even for some small profit are simply following what the pros are doing.
    Whether they are successful at it or not...is irrelevant to the OP and the thread discussion.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


  9. #56
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 123 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383180
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    you are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

    ---------- Update ----------



    And those fools get taken by people who know how to mislead them by misusing words.
    I've always wondered what it must be like to be right all the time.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:


  11. #57
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 123 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383180
    Not getting into a politics debate here.......sticking to the subject at hand........but your assumption is that if an opinion is held by a majority........you know.........most people........then it is likely wrong? And to interpret another way........it has to be wrong because the majority of people are inferior to you? Well then.........what a terrible.....bitter.....dark......lonely struggle your life must be. Too bad.

    I have a question for you. Why did you join this forum? Was it to learn...........or to spread your wisdom?

    (I've got $1 on "spread his wisdom")
    Just A Song Writer..........

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:


  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    There may be some.

    There are a lot of wannabees fleecing others too.

    Would you call generic 'mastering' using a formula and automated software truly mastering when only PC changes anything.
    One person fleecing another has nothing to do with the OP and discussion here....which was about mastering singles.
    Also...when you say "there may be some", I guess that's your "out" rather than just admitting that singles mastering is done every day in countless pro mastering facilities around the world on pro projects. Then you imply that the majority is made up of wannabees just fleecing people.


    Sorry dude...but that is such a dumb sounding, almost bitter, comment and view that you have...and I'm sure it's not because you actually believe all those pros are wannabes fleecing everyone...rather you intentionally keep pushing the discussion in that direction simply to avoid agreeing with what we all know to be the true reality.

    AFA generic, algorithmically derived mastering processes...what's that got to do with the OP and discussion...?
    Yeah, that stuff exists...but that stuff is for guys think you only need to mix, and you can just add a little more processing at the end, and that true mastering is not needed...kinda like what you're saying.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


  15. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    19,585
    Thanks
    990
    Thanked 729 Times in 653 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    There is ample reason to be bitter I suppose if you have been ripped off by someone claiming to be a 'mastering engineer' that did basically nothing other than turn shit up and add some eq. There are a shit ton of people out there doing that.

    But if you actually look for someone that does it for a living, has the money to build the correct environment and gear, has an ear to do a product the justice it deserves, and has product to show that his work is worthy, then you would have just completed the first step in losing your attitude about what is common to you.

    I am seriously questioning why you are here on this forum telling people to get off your lawn. Are you older and more grumpy than I? I doubt it.

    But I do not go around telling people what the 'right way' is. I only interject my experience so others can learn from it.

    You should do the same whome.

    There is so much more out there to be learned. Every day I get better myself. It is called life man.

    Cheers!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:


  17. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I have to disagree.
    The fleecers tell people that they need to master singles, which is nonsense as you master albums not singles, and they should buy that service from the person out to fleece them.
    I say again....there are countless pro mastering engineers, with high-end clients in the pro music industry who are *MASTERING SINGLES* every day.

    You're basically saying they are all "fleecing" the clients...that there is no need for them to have those singles mastered...?

    So your expertise and knowledge exceeds that of all those industry pros...you know better, right.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ready to release FIRST SINGLE - need your feedback!
    By toymaker in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 17:21
  2. Charity Christmas single release.
    By Steenamaroo in forum Marketing Your Music / Publicity
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 09:09
  3. Single Release
    By Killah_Trakz in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 07:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •