Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: Should you master a song if you only plan to release it as a single?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,805
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 602 Times in 489 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    the singles were full LPs and any so called mastering was done in the mixing

    then real mastering was done to prepare it for the media whether wax cylinder, vinyl, wire, tape, or whatever

    now PRE mastering will take a group of singles and make them as best as possible as a group considering volume levels, sequence, and other factors.
    and now there is still REAL mastering for the medium whether CD, cassette, vinyl, radio, TV , USB, mp3 players, or whatever
    This maybe the case, but it's largely irrelevant. In the days when I started recording, it was in a 4-track studio. We mixed onto a master tape, which then went to RCA and from there they prepared the stampers for pressing the records.

    But that was then. Language evolves (as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread) and processes change, as does the language to match. Now mastering means something different. That's fine. It doesn't matter what it mean before.

    It's like the word 'mileage'. It was once used to describe how many miles per gallon a car used in fuel. Here we have been using kilometres for years, but still use that term. But that term is used to describe the value you get from anything (even the mileage we're getting out of your stubborness to accept change).

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    19,521
    Thanks
    964
    Thanked 715 Times in 640 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Semantics are irrelevant.

    Record music and make it sound good already....

    Done.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,778
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 486 Times in 449 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    Going onto vinyl meant accommodating the technical limitations. Doing so affected the sound but you wanted it to still sound good, so accommodating the technical limitations blended into making it sound good with no clear separation.

  6. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    This maybe the case, but it's largely irrelevant. In the days when I started recording, it was in a 4-track studio. We mixed onto a master tape, which then went to RCA and from there they prepared the stampers for pressing the records.

    But that was then. Language evolves (as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread) and processes change, as does the language to match. Now mastering means something different. That's fine. It doesn't matter what it mean before.

    It's like the word 'mileage'. It was once used to describe how many miles per gallon a car used in fuel. Here we have been using kilometres for years, but still use that term. But that term is used to describe the value you get from anything (even the mileage we're getting out of your stubborness to accept change).

    Whats a kilometre?

    I accept change that makes sense. The current nonsense misuse of the word mastering is to sell more expensive services or to sound more important when you say you did it.

  7. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,652
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked 860 Times in 750 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    The current nonsense misuse of the word mastering is to sell more expensive services or to sound more important when you say you did it.
    Who are you talking about...exactly?

    You do realize that there are mastering engineers who were doing it 30-40 years ago, maybe more...and some are still doing it.
    They evolved over the years...the process evolved...the term evolved with them.

    They way you say it...it's as though you think everyone that masters these days, just started doing it a couple of months ago, and they're just making everything up.
    If you're talking about people who offer mastering for $5...and who work out of Facebook, and the like...those are not mastering engineers.
    You need to look at what the pros are doing currently, the ones who have big name clients, who do mastering in the modern sense...and they know more about mastering than whatever it is you're selling from 60 years ago.

    You just keep selling some conspiracy theory kind of perspective...without ever actually saying anything specific. Like I said, you dodge specific questions and/or fail to provide specific answers to them....yet you try to come off like only you are in the know, about "something", which is pure vagueness, at best.

  8. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Mastering focuses on idiosyncrasies in each track with an eye and an ear toward their progression. It takes in all the tracks as a whole. You want the levels of the songs to be similar throughout and a general sense of cohesiveness to your recording. You want to flow from start to finish.

  9. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Whats a kilometre?

    I accept change that makes sense. The current nonsense misuse of the word mastering is to sell more expensive services or to sound more important when you say you did it.
    THat's a plain lie. I use the word mastering because it is what I do. I take the final mix, where the sound has been balanced and set out across a sound stage, and match it to reference tracks and get the LUFS to the appropriate level for the medium the songs are to be published on, and in the case of an album, I balance the levels of all the tracks so that the listener can set his/her volume level and not have to keep altering it to get the right volume for each track.

    The second process is known in 2019 as Mastering, and no matter how long you chew your balls to say it isn't, no matter how insulting, condescending and arrogant you are, no matter how tight your 1960s denims and how outrageous your 1970s haircut is, that will be the case. I master the songs before I release them.

    Semantics aside, the use of language changes over time. People no longer catch Omnibuses, though, in fact, the bus they sit on IS an Omnibus.

    You are wrong, and unpleasant with it.

    NONE of that is done to get money out of anyone other than the listener buying my music. I am NOT selling "more expen

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,844
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 206 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    16180575
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Back then there were NO singles.
    Totally lost me right there. You've really been at this for 60 years...? NO singles? The 70's? The 80's? The 90's? Damn near everything was available as a single. Even during the "album era" there were scads of "cassingles" and 45's and CD-singles. Not to mention the 60's and earlier when singles were far more popular than albums...

    Again - The medium has changed.

    When I was a kid and I wanted tea, I'd take a small pot, fill it with water and put it on the stove for several minutes over a flame. Now, I take a mug full of water and put it in proximity to an active magnetron for about a minute. In this case, the method has changed but the result is the same. Two totally different methods that physically have little to do with each other. But it's still called "making a mug of hot water."

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Massive Master For This Useful Post:


  12. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,652
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked 860 Times in 750 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by annaxamr View Post
    Mastering focuses on idiosyncrasies in each track with an eye and an ear toward their progression. It takes in all the tracks as a whole. You want the levels of the songs to be similar throughout and a general sense of cohesiveness to your recording. You want to flow from start to finish.
    True...but it can also focus on the idiosyncrasies of a single song to adjust/balance from start to finish. It's done every day, and has been for years.


    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    Totally lost me right there. You've really been at this for 60 years...? NO singles? The 70's? The 80's? The 90's? Damn near everything was available as a single. Even during the "album era" there were scads of "cassingles" and 45's and CD-singles. Not to mention the 60's and earlier when singles were far more popular than albums...
    Yeah...I too was wondering WTF he was talking about. I still have hundreds of old 45 *SINGLES* in box somewhere from the '60s, '70s that came out of jukeboxes from my family's businesses back then. If anything...the single was the bigger thing back then for many years, before the album format became more prevalent...and now it's kinda gone back to more singles.

  13. #60
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 118 Times in 111 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383180
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    It's funny...and obvious...how throughout the thread you dodge specific questions and/or fail to provide specific answers.
    Everything with you is vague and diversionary, or just a repetition of some generic viewpoint no matter what the discussion.
    Yup.....the responses to questions asked of him are anything but specific or clear. On the other hand......his opinions are not opinions......they're facts......apparently.....which seem to bear repeating over and over. Of course......that's only my....opinion.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. YellowDwarf

Similar Threads

  1. Ready to release FIRST SINGLE - need your feedback!
    By toymaker in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 17:21
  2. Charity Christmas single release.
    By Steenamaroo in forum Marketing Your Music / Publicity
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 09:09
  3. Single Release
    By Killah_Trakz in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 07:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •