Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Self mastering

Thanks

Self mastering

Sign in to disable this ad
    So I just finished mixing this album and my clients have asked if I could master it for them. I really don't know anything about mastering so I could use some help. I know its dprobably difficult without hearing the mixes, but are there any general guidelines, procedures, rules of thumb that you use? The music is country/ blues/ jazz/ americana so severe compression is probably not desireable right?

also, how do you use multiband compression? Should I use multiband compression? How should I approach applying eq to a mix so I don't fuck it up?

Thanks
    source it out to someone else.

If you mixed the album you got it to sound as good as you possibly could right?

The point of mastering is so someone (preferrably who knows their shit) with a fresh set of ears can have a litsten and fix anything you may not have noticed.

I'm fairly new to the world of multiband compression... but as far as I can tell the general purpose is to compress certain frequencies as opposed to the whole thing.. I've used it to tame the bass a little bit. And get rid of a few harsh high's... Regarless of that there is ALOT more to mastering then throwing a multiband compressor over it..

hopefully one of the mastering guys here will jump in and give you some "real" advice.

danny.guitar Guest
    What did they want done in the mastering stage?

Thanks
    I had actually suggested that they look into sending it to a mastering studio and they asked if I could do it. I don't think they knew what mastering was until I mentioned it.

I told them I could at least run some compression and maybe some eq on it. The mix already sounds good by the way. They are very happy with it so there's nothing major that needs to be fixed.

I think they just want something temporary to take on the road with them until they can actually send it out to a mastering studio. I thought I would take the opportunity to learn something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    So I just finished mixing this album and my clients have asked if I could master it for them. I really don't know anything about mastering so I could use some help.
    Well, are the same songs you ended to mix and you said are OK; altough mastering is another step of the job, if your clients donīt have the money to pay a professional Mastering Engineer with great room, monitoring,fresh ears,EXPERIENCE to assume each small modification he/she will make ... simply do the best you can, opening the songs in a software like CD architect, take care with eq changes and level betwen the songs and stay away from Multiband if you donīt know how works/what to do.

What monitors do you have? Some treatment in the room?
    You can put (2 songs) in the MP3 clinic and take for advices.Many guys ("fresh ears") can, at least suggest what to do (compress or not, for example).

Ciro

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/openstation
    Last edited by CIRO; 07-31-2007 at 12:48.

Thanks
    I think they just want something temporary to take on the road with them until they can actually send it out to a mastering studio. I thought I would take the opportunity to learn something.
    Great, thatīs the way

Ciro
    my songs

Thanks
    [QUOTE=CIRO;2688867]What monitors do you have? Some treatment in the room?
    You can put (2 songs) in the MP3 clinic and take for advices.Many guys ("fresh ears") can, at least suggest what to do (compress or not, for example).
    QUOTE]

I'm using Event tr8s. The treatment in my room is not ideal. I will try posting a couple songs.

Thanks
    Hey, how do you post to the mp3 clinic?

Thanks
    just upload the song somewhere (even yousendit ) and give us the link...

Thanks
    Hey, how do you post to the mp3 clinic?
    or www.soundclick.com

Ciro

Thread Information